Ford Ranger Trans Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Ford Ranger 5-speed manual that calls for Mercon V fluid in trans. Just wanted to know if anyone has put Pennzoil Synchromesh in insted, and how did it perform?

That's a GM & Chrysler fluid. Why not just get some Supertech Mercon V at Walmart? It's only $4.27 a quart. That's half the price of the Pennzoil.

Mercon V is not ideal for this trans.

I use Synchromesh or equivalent fluids. My truck has some Synchromesh and Valvoline MTF in it now.

You won't notice much/any difference on a nice shifting trans, but if there is an issue, Synchromesh usually helps in M5ODs.

I've used it in 2 rangers, one had no real change in shifting, the other was somewhat improved. I'll use it again the next time I change the trans fluid in that truck. I'm sure it's an upgrade over merconV.

IMO Mercon V is a compromise fluid in this application.
I would visit the Ranger forums and see what others are using.
If Redline makes a suitable fluid, that's what I'd use.

I've used Redline D4 and RP Synchromax in my Ranger clone.

Same transmission once specified Mercon too at one time, I would rather have a dual purpose (d4) or MTF fluid as a starting point

Originally Posted By: pbm
IMO Mercon V is a compromise fluid in this application.
I would visit the Ranger forums and see what others are using.
If Redline makes a suitable fluid, that's what I'd use.

I did visit the Ranger forum, and got 10 different opinions. I've heard so many good things about the GM/Pennzoil fluid that I thought I'd try it, but I don't want to damage anything either. I once drained out the OEM fluid and put in Amsoil ATF and the dealer had to rebuild the transmission under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I've used Redline D4 and RP Synchromax in my Ranger clone.

Same transmission once specified Mercon too at one time, I would rather have a dual purpose (d4) or MTF fluid as a starting point

When I had my stick Ranger I used both Mobil 1 ATF and Redline D4. Still use M1 ATF in the transfer case of my Explorer. Have D4 in the stick tranny of my son's Mustang and it shifts real nice.

Any of the MTF's below should work:

6.9 to 7.9 cST (ATF-like Viscosity); 70W75 :
Royal Purple's Synchromax

Ravenol MTF-2

Honda MTF

VW part number G052512A2

GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3

Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)

Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)

Pentosin FFL-4

Redline Power Steering Fluid

8.0 to 9.8 cSt Viscosity; 75W80:

The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)

The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)

The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buckeyeman

I did visit the Ranger forum, and got 10 different opinions. I've heard so many good things about the GM/Pennzoil fluid that I thought I'd try it, but I don't want to damage anything either. I once drained out the OEM fluid and put in Amsoil ATF and the dealer had to rebuild the transmission under warranty.

Synchromesh or a similar MTF definitely will not damage it. I heard stories years ago of M5ODs being damaged from being filled with gear oil. Early Rangers with Mitsubishi and Toyo Kogyo transmissions used gear oil, and those transmissions were used along with the M5OD from about '87-'91. Apparently some owners/shops would refill M5ODs with gear oil by mistake. All of that is anecdotal though.

The M5OD is not very picky and not very refined no matter what you put in it. Different fluids seem to work better or worse in different trucks used in different conditions. No harm in trying an MTF...if you don't like the way it shifts (doubtful), you can always change back to ATF. The M5OD came out in 1987, right around the same time Mercon was introduced, so Ford probably wanted to consolidate fluids on their assembly lines. Mercon could be used to fill a lot of things on a Ranger, Explorer, Bronco, Aerostar, E-Series van, or F-Series truck, including the M5OD. It was a good general purpose trans/PS/t-case fluid, but some M5ODs do better with something else. Mercon V was never really meant for the M5OD. It was introduced in 1996 or 1997 to correct issues with (I think) the 4R70W auto specifically, then was spec'd for other transmissions, including the ones used in Rangers.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Any of the MTF's below should work:

6.9 to 7.9 cST (ATF-like Viscosity); 70W75 :
Royal Purple's Synchromax

Ravenol MTF-2

Honda MTF

VW part number G052512A2

GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3

Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)

Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)

Pentosin FFL-4

Redline Power Steering Fluid

8.0 to 9.8 cSt Viscosity; 75W80:

The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)

The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Is this good stuff? This is what I use...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/20573820

or is this better?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Max...Gallon/15125768

Thanks...

I've searched all over the net regarding this subject, and obviously several opinions. There seems to be a lot of people endorsing Redline D4 atf. There was a lot endorsing Royal Purple Synchromax and Max ATF too. The only complaint was people that live in the north experienced harder shifting with RP Synchromax in cold weather. I think I'm going to pass on the Pennzoil Synchromesh cause I don't want to have this problem in the winter. I'm kind of leaning toward the Redline D4. I want to thank everyone for their input. I just don't want to have to have the transmission rebuilt again for something I caused.

My two choices would be:

Redline Power Steering Fluid (6.9 cSt)

The above fluids contain an FM and AW additive package commensurate with MT internals.

Redline D4 is not designed for MTF's, regardless of their "suggested" coverage for MT's.

My two choices would be:

Redline Power Steering Fluid (6.9 cSt)

The above fluids contain an FM and AW additive package commensurate with MT internals.

Redline D4 is not designed for MTF's, regardless of their "suggested" coverage for MT's.

Forgive me for not knowing, but what is FM & AW? Redline's website says to use D4. It's got to be better than Motorcraft Mercon V.

FM is the Friction Modification chemistry necessary for proper engagement of synchronizer assemblies and shifter forks. Its main duty is to provide the correct dynamic friction coefficient for engagement and release at the clutch surfaces.

AW is the Anti-Wear chemistry necessary to reduce wear in bearings, gear teeth, and shifter forks.

MTF's

Again, Redline D4 is not designed for MTF's, regardless of their "suggested" coverage for MT's.

Last edited:
FM is the Friction Modification chemistry necessary for proper engagement of synchronizer assemblies and shifter forks. Its main duty is to provide the correct dynamic friction coefficient for engagement and release at the clutch surfaces.

AW is the Anti-Wear chemistry necessary to reduce wear in bearings, gear teeth, and shifter forks.

MTF's

Again, Redline D4 is not designed for MTF's, regardless of their "suggested" coverage for MT's.

Ok now it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back