Over ranked OSU loses already

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say it every year, and every year they prove me right, OSU is the most consistently over ranked team not just in college football, not just in college sports, but in all sports. Last night's game proves they didn't belong ranked in the top 10. They may not even belong ranked in the top 25, but they are a big money team and the powers that be in college football will not allow OSU not to be ranked in the top 10. I love college football, but until they fix this stupid, fixed ranking system, I don't know how anyone can lend any credibility to the sport...

Originally Posted By: grampi
they are a big money team and the powers that be in college football will not allow OSU not to be ranked in the top 10.

rant on...

Frankly, college sports are a huge drain on resources and a waste of much time, effort and energy that would be better suited on actual academics.

Precious few college-level sports actually make cash-flow positive situations for their Universities, and that's really usually only the biggest and best. I get it that sports are a donor wooing tool, but even then I doubt they positively assist any endowment.

Add on top of it Title IX, which destroyed many successful men's sporting programs (which admittedly were not cash-flow positive), and channeled massive amounts of money to Women's programs to balance out behemoth men's single sports (like BB and FB). In no way am I against women's sports, but it was a rob peter to pay paul game, lived it, saw it, saw full rides given to anyone and everyone on a women's team, while the men's team was given nothing and existed (more successfully) at a club status.

You see very little inspiring academics from most athletes. Isn't that what college is actually about? It can be harder for a saluditorian going for a pre-med degree to get a full ride, than an "athlete" with a 3.0 GPA majoring in underwater basket weaving...

So college sports are all a sham, IMO...

rant off...

They lost to the 5th ranked team not some schlubs. The rankings update weekly. That's why they play the games.

A few years ago, my son took me to a Penn State game. He knew some folks who did a big tail gate party before each game from his business contacts so we went over to chat with the guy. He had a HUGE motorized camper (brand new, maybe $125,000), a huge grill running and handing out hamburgers, hot dogs and small steaks to anyone who asked and a huge table with beer and booze, again for anyone who asked. This was all his privately owned stuff, not a corporate deal.After chatting with him for a time, he told us he had two kids at Penn State and that they had to borrow all the money to attend and he was so upset that they would be in debt for many years! REALLY? He could have paid for both of them with the money he was pouring out just to be seen as a big Penn State supporter. Let's not even go in to what he was paying for tickets. The choices some people make are beyond my comprhension

That's why they play 'em.
Someone is going to win, someone is going to lose.

I was a huge football fan but I basically stopped watching last year.
When athletes (and actors, singers etc...) bring their politics to the game they lose me.....

Originally Posted By: Boomer
A few years ago, my son took me to a Penn State game. He knew some folks who did a big tail gate party before each game from his business contacts so we went over to chat with the guy. He had a HUGE motorized camper (brand new, maybe $125,000), a huge grill running and handing out hamburgers, hot dogs and small steaks to anyone who asked and a huge table with beer and booze, again for anyone who asked. This was all his privately owned stuff, not a corporate deal.After chatting with him for a time, he told us he had two kids at Penn State and that they had to borrow all the money to attend and he was so upset that they would be in debt for many years! REALLY? He could have paid for both of them with the money he was pouring out just to be seen as a big Penn State supporter. Let's not even go in to what he was paying for tickets. The choices some people make are beyond my comprhension

The only problem I would have with Mr. Tailgate is his being upset that the kids owe for their education. Good for him. Some "sweat equity" will do wonders for a kid's outlook on life. Most kids today are so spoiled they are completely lost when they finally have to move out at age 26+.

Guess who busted his fanny to be able to afford that camper and pursue his own interests?

Re: THE OSU, nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing them fall flat on their face.

Last edited:
Having lived in the Toledo, Tampa and now Columbus, OH TV market, the local media goes nuts about OSU football to the 9th degree. The team is named after a nut, the Buckeye, go figure.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I say it every year, and every year they prove me right, OSU is the most consistently over ranked team not just in college football, not just in college sports, but in all sports. Last night's game proves they didn't belong ranked in the top 10. They may not even belong ranked in the top 25, but they are a big money team and the powers that be in college football will not allow OSU not to be ranked in the top 10. I love college football, but until they fix this stupid, fixed ranking system, I don't know how anyone can lend any credibility to the sport...

I remember being precisely this [censored] off at the Buckeyes before. But that was 21 years ago, in 1996...
I haven't cared about the Buckeyes since.

I live and breathe U-Michigan and by mid-December, Ohio State will be ranked higher than the 5th Ranked team they lost to yesterday. They seem to improve during the campaign and that's attributed to their outstanding coaching. Thankfully Michigan now has an outstanding coaching staff also..... Harbaugh & Company.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I live and breathe U-Michigan and by mid-December, Ohio State will be ranked higher than the 5th Ranked team they lost to yesterday. They seem to improve during the campaign and that's attributed to their outstanding coaching. Thankfully Michigan now has an outstanding coaching staff also..... Harbaugh & Company.

I doubt it. This team will have 2 or 3 losses by then...oh, they will still be ranked too high anyway, they always are...

I am a huge OSU sports hater manly bc Urban is a huge [censored]..he left Florida bc under his tutulage the program had a lot of skeletons in his many closets. OSU like many, many schools spends way too much money on sports.

But tOSU Football team is talented and will do very well again this year. I am very fearful they will beat PSU (PSU alumnus here). To say they don't belong in the top 25 is ludicrous..better take your meds. They possibly could lose 3 games altogether but I would bet on only one more loss to either PSUor UM. Certaionly would not surprise me to see them run the table from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real shocker was Baylor losing to UTSA RAOADRUNNERS

Penn State hopefully will do great this year.

Gotta like Oregon as they beat a so/so Nebraska team
smile.gif

I was lucky enough to graduate before government backed student loans put the price of an education through the roof. I lived on rice and beans, lived part of the time in my VW bus, showering in the gym, played football, baseball and if the offseasons worked.

Today I see students with these loans driving new(er) cars, living in luxury apartments (compared to my then life style) and playing/partying instead of studying and working.

From what I see the politicians, the bankers, and the schools got together one night while playing poker, smoking a cigar and having a few drinks and said, "I've got this idea to make a boatload of money with a cash flow model that will keep us in the gravy for decades to come....". The politicians will get re-elected, the bankers will get their cut right off the top and the schools can raise their tuition without being embarrassed and focus on political correctness instead of difficult stuff like science, math, and engineering. They called their scheme government backed student loans, fly now, pay later. They only used proven, time tested methods and from their point of view, it's working great for them.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I was lucky enough to graduate before government backed student loans put the price of an education through the roof. I lived on rice and beans, lived part of the time in my VW bus, showering in the gym, played football, baseball and if the offseasons worked.

Today I see students with these loans driving new(er) cars, living in luxury apartments (compared to my then life style) and playing/partying instead of studying and working.

From what I see the politicians, the bankers, and the schools got together one night while playing poker, smoking a cigar and having a few drinks and said, "I've got this idea to make a boatload of money with a cash flow model that will keep us in the gravy for decades to come....". The politicians will get re-elected, the bankers will get their cut right off the top and the schools can raise their tuition without being embarrassed and focus on political correctness instead of difficult stuff like science, math, and engineering. They called their scheme government backed student loans, fly now, pay later. They only used proven, time tested methods and from their point of view, it's working great for them.

+1 Well said. My story also, but didn't play sports. U Wisc '67

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Frankly, college sports are a huge drain on resources and a waste of much time, effort and energy that would be better suited on actual academics.

I've said the same thing many times, usually with some grousing about tax exemptions and the farcical term "student athletes". I'm real fun at parties
lol.gif

So, When Ohio State won the National Championship in Jan.2015 they were overrated? And then the next year when they went 12-1 and beat Notre Dame in their bowl game were they were overrated that year too? You,of course can have your own opinion, but NOT your own facts. And, in the years 2012 and 2013 they won 25 games in a row. Do you not understand how good you have to be to do something like that? Were you upset that they were winning so much? What did they ever do to you to make you feel that way? Wow! Even if they win the rest of their games this year I don't think they will make the playoff this year. There are too many other good teams. So what if they don't make the playoff? If they win the Big Ten and go to a very good bowl game, good for them! I like ALL of the college football games and All of the teams and enjoy watching ALL of them. Alabama will probably win the NC this year, but Oklahoma with that Baker Mayfield could give them a good run! That could be very exciting to watch. Too bad you'll miss that great game if it happens! I feel sorry for you Grampi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billpace1956
If they win the Big Ten and go to a very good bowl game, good for them!

If they win the Big Ten they should go to the Playoffs...Now if they were named PSU who won the B-10, and beat tOSU and did Not make the playoffs..Not arguing with y ou. And as much as I hate tOSU (in Sports) no one (with any sense) can say they are not consistantly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back