Wana see a Tesla humiliate some drag cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't surprise me. The torque curve of the type of electric 'engine' that the Tesla uses is pretty much flat in its operational range, which means peak torque right off the bat. Gas engines have to build up to it.

Being dead serious Oneyejack. I thought about this just last pm.... I thought that an electric car could RAKE in the $$$$ if they wanted to race on the street. Having 100% power available almost instantly would give the car a tremendous advantage. I figured that a car like this Tesla could out 60 foot most anything else on the street. Only question is about the tires hooking up. If yes, then those guys could make some serious dinero racing other modified gas/nitrous powered street cars.

Last edited:
It's more the all wheel drive, along with the weight balance, then it is electric power. None of the gas cars could hook up, and put the power they were making to the road. Wheel spin and tire smoke sounds and looks good. But it doesn't win races.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Millions in taxpayer subsidies for THIS?

Doesn't Tesla share a lot of their tech? Might it be, that there's a good overall ROI?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Lets see Seattle to Missoula Mt. non stop doing the legal speed limit lets see who gets there first.

The guy in a airplane wins. What does that have to do with drag racing?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Lets see Seattle to Missoula Mt. non stop doing the legal speed limit lets see who gets there first.

This is a good point. While these cars are impressive and fun. In reality they are little more than Jay Leno type expensive toys. And are not the slightest bit practical. Until they find a way to 100% charge the batteries in minutes instead of hours. And have a network of charging stations across the country, they'll be nothing but expensive novelties. Nothing more.

Also, the biggest problem with these cars is the high battery replacement cost. On a Toyota Prius it can run over $6K. Tesla's are no doubt much higher. In high heat desert climates batteries of any type don't last. And they lose output and longevity in frigid climates as well. Perhaps in another 2 or 3 decades, they will be able to develop a charging infrastructure, along with allowing battery technology to catch up enough to solve these problems. But for now they are simply You Tube entertainment, and not much more.

You've got to be kidding! The oil industry is not only subsidized by our government, our government provides a military to support oil industry interests!

Scott

Yeah the only thing is what happens when one of those fox body mustangs loses control and wrecks your $150k Tesla?

Those $600 bets don't seem to be worth it, unless its just bragging rights.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

You've got to be kidding! The oil industry is not only subsidized by our government, our government provides a military to support oil industry interests!

Scott

The difference is the oil industry earns a profit. Every stock holder who receives dividend checks from them will support that statement. Tesla would have disappeared long ago if it was not for the government propping it up at the taxpayers expense. To say the government supports the oil industry is nonsense. To say it supports Tesla, and keeps it on life support, is a fact. And the military protects ALL OF US.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's more the all wheel drive, along with the weight balance, then it is electric power. None of the gas cars could hook up, and put the power they were making to the road. Wheel spin and tire smoke sounds and looks good. But it doesn't win races.

Yes, and I'm surprised the racers just got too "emotionally involved" to remember this bit.

Maybe they're pretty inexperienced....

Scott
Federal and state governments collect a vast amount in gas taxes. It's the largest component of the Federal Highway Fund . Battery cars use the roads, where's the road tax on electric power. At least tires are taxed. Where's the pollution tax on the generating plants needed to charge these toys? The fact is they can't survive with out the subsidy.

Some of the statements here leave me wondering. The electric motor shines here because it develops maximum torque at a stalled rotor. All wheel drive makes a perfect match with an electric motor for getting off the line.

Our company 3rd gen Prius got a battery installed for $1,700 with a same as factory guarantee, not $6,000 as stated above, and it's now past 400K total mileage. Because of the gas mileage, it's still a good deal. Since the transmission is a planetary and not a CVT with belts and never shifts gears and has no reverse (it backs up on one of the 2 electric motors) gear it's going to last a lot longer. The Prius is only a "good deal" for high mileage drivers and in driving one you're still not saving the planet.

And we have several people that drive an electric car to work, plug it in and then drive home. Even before their electrics they followed this pattern and the electric car works for them and is a good deal. They have always had 2 or 3 cars even before this and they use their "real" cars for anything longer.

If my cancer does not kill me and I get to retire an electric car might be worth considering. I can use the 4Runner for real driving and the electric for around town. The 4Runner would benefit from not doing short run driving and I won't have to change the oil on the electric. What's not to like?

They pay huge taxes and before you jump in with they pass it on to the consumer - well, downstream is not where the money is - so they are not doing well right now.

Scott
Federal and state governments collect a vast amount in gas taxes. It's the largest component of the Federal Highway Fund . Battery cars use the roads, where's the road tax on electric power. At least tires are taxed. Where's the pollution tax on the generating plants needed to charge these toys? The fact is they can't survive with out the subsidy.

The government can't survive without taxing what I earn, taxing what I spend, taxing what I own, and taxing what I use. When taxes are administered in this broad brush fashion, it creates the need for these kinds of subsidies.

I had a great year of contracting several years ago - I actually paid the State and Federal Government $112K in income taxes - in just that one year!!! Nice subsidy, eh? Had I been indebted with mortgage debt, the government would have subsidized me via tax deductions. I wonder what renters think about their income taxes being used to subsidize the mortgage debt of homeowners?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back