Want to switch cell phone carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are wanting to lower our cell phone bills. Currently have Sprint Everything Data. $131 a month + the fees and taxes.
We use the iPhone 5S. Focused in on Consumer Cellular right now. I am unsure if I can use our current phones or need to get new ones. We are out of contract so free to move around.

I like the $65 a month for 2 lines. 250 minutes for $15 and $40 for 5GB of data.

If you or the other person on a two line plan are 55 or older, T-Mobile with unlimited including taxes and fees is not a bad deal.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55?cmpid=ADV_PB_GOATFELL_43700023750366969&mx_ch=ADV_PB&_vsrefdom=431-647-7513&mchxkw=c:908103117,k:%20tmobile%20%2055,m:b,p:1t1,d:c,ai:45633501576,ad:219571725506,s:g

Originally Posted By: Kool1
If you or the other person on a two line plan are 55 or older, T-Mobile with unlimited including taxes and fees is not a bad deal.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55?cmpid=ADV_PB_GOATFELL_43700023750366969&mx_ch=ADV_PB&_vsrefdom=431-647-7513&mchxkw=c:908103117,k:%20tmobile%20%2055,m:b,p:1t1,d:c,ai:45633501576,ad:219571725506,s:g

Yes, one is over 55! I will check it out! Thank you!

Sprint phones only work on the sprint network.

Google. Sprint MVNO. To find sprint resellers that likely offer lower prices for the samw towers.

Consumer cellular uses Att and Tmoble.

Some sites let you punch in your mei numerous that's specific to you phone to tell if it will work on their network. It is a string of letters or numbers. You can find it in settings then about. You may have to have your carrier unlock the phone if it isn't already

I think an iPhone 5S currently on the Sprint network should still work with other carriers as long as the phone can be unlocked. Most iPhone 5S models came with radio support for all north American carriers.

Chiefsfan - Have you had service with Sprint for at least a year? If so I believe they are obligated to unlock your phone. Make sure to ask them to do this before you quit their service so you can use the phone on ATT or TMobile networks.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Sprint phones only work on the sprint network.

Google. Sprint MVNO.

I have Sprint, so how do I roam both here in the US and in Europe (which I do)?

Thanks all! That T-Mobil deal looks good. If we need to get new devices, the savings will pay for it.

Though CC allows you to adjust your usage.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
You might check coverage where you live and travel

With T-mobile, this is imperative. Their coverage is absolutely horrible.

Example: a few months back we were trying to get an Uber in San Francisco. We were standing OUTSIDE in front of the international arrivals gates at SFO. No t-mobile coverage. And this is not at all unusual for them. This was her phone, thankfully mine was on AT&T from an older contract.

What's being said about making sure you can get reception is so true. I have Verizon and it works great in NJ, not so good at my MIL apartment in Staten Island, NY and I was in Mogantown WV and Verizon was spotty. AT&T doesn't work in my shop where I work where Verizon is OK, AT&T worked in Morgantown no problems (company phone was AT&T back then, personal is Verizon) and years ago I had issues with AT&T in some areas of NJ ... but that was long ago.

At my MIL we normally get 1 bar, walk a couple of feet and it can get somewhat better or worse. Usually texts will get through even if the phone doesn't get good reception - co workers with AT&T need to go out of the building for their phone to work.

for $70 you could get unlimited talk, text, and 4GB data per line.. from cricket which is AT&T towers.
That includes all fees and taxes.

Tmobil around here is 4th place by far.. phone quits when you walk into the grocery store.

Verizon is slightly number one followed closely by AT&T then sprint a notch lower, then tmobil dead last.

and if you go 30miles south you wont get signal on tmob.. sprint goes in and out, verizon and AT&T work fine.

You have to know what kind of service you have in your area.

Currently rocking sprint unlimited for free. Cheapest service going right now...

Google it

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
You might check coverage where you live and travel

With T-mobile, this is imperative. Their coverage is absolutely horrible.

Example: a few months back we were trying to get an Uber in San Francisco. We were standing OUTSIDE in front of the international arrivals gates at SFO. No t-mobile coverage. And this is not at all unusual for them. This was her phone, thankfully mine was on AT&T from an older contract.

That was my son's complaint with TMUS, and why we didn't go with them. We recently dumped Verizon for Consumer Cellular, we are very pleased with the service and lower rates.

Another T-mobile customer here. I had AT&T before. As noted, T-mobile offers some very cheap plans but their coverage is terrible. The coverage map on their website is a complete lie.

I may end up switching back to a more expensive company. Whenever my wife goes on a road trip I think about the fact that if she has car trouble or something, there's a very good chance she'll be in a place with no coverage, even though T-mobile claims there's coverage in that area.

This is a good thread for me as I have yet to get a cellphone! (Last man alive, I know...) HOWEVER, now might be a fine time to do it given the many plans & options. I don't talk that much. Having never HAD one of these phones, I'm not addicted to it. No need nor desire to always be 'in touch'. With that said, one would be useful from time-to-time.

Another field report on the subject. My wife and I have flip phones and don't use data, aside from pictures via text. (I am fortunate to also have an iPhone from work with a liberal usage policy
smile.gif
) We have an old plan with AT&T, and have been very happy with the coverage but increasingly annoyed at the cost, which varied month to month depending on texting. Over $100 a month at times!

Long story short I switched my phone to "Red Pocket" today. Same number and still on the GSMA/AT&T network. $10/month, 500 calls, 500 texts, and 100 megs data per phone. We never exceeded that usage on AT&T so it should be fine. The switch went smoothly so her phone is getting it tonight. When I signed up for the auto-bill pay, it indicated less than $1 in taxes and fees. I'll report back in a month or so with the true monthly cost for both phones and thoughts on service. If my wife exceeds the texting the next plan up is $15 for 1,000, or $19 for unlimited.

jeff

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
We are wanting to lower our cell phone bills. Currently have Sprint Everything Data. $131 a month + the fees and taxes.
We use the iPhone 5S. Focused in on Consumer Cellular right now. I am unsure if I can use our current phones or need to get new ones. We are out of contract so free to move around.

I like the $65 a month for 2 lines. 250 minutes for $15 and $40 for 5GB of data.

Here you go, choose the 4GB option on this page, 2 lines, unlimited talk, data and text, never a surcharge, no added taxes, ACTUAL payment for two lines $70 a month with autopay, NO contract and ATT service as it is an ATT owned company.

Click here, choose the 4GB plan and your all set, 2 lines $70 actual payment, unlmited everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back