Oil Dry Fill vs Service Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dry oil fill is a new/rebuilt engine that never had oil in it. Service fill is when you empty the oil by the plug. Service will always leave some oil in the engne so the service capacity will be lower.

Dry fill can be for a newly rebuilt engine. Once the engine has been filled there will always be some oil left behind no matter how long you leave the drain plug out.

Wet fill is the oil needed on the next oil change.

Sometimes both amounts are listed. Mostly not. The problem is that dipsticks are not really that accurate. Next oil change that I did (or watched someone do it) I'd use the amount called for and check the dipstick.

My 84 Civic calls for 3.7 quarts. I pour in 4 quarts. Also, I've had to replace the dipstick with a new one that is really for a later Civic so I just changed the oil and marked the new dipstick with one notch and the correct location.

Next oil change put in 1 qt less. Mark the dip stick, now you know where 1qt low exactly is.....add a qt, now you know exactly where full is.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Pelican
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between a dry oil fil and a Service oil fill !
Thanks

A service fill allows for residual oil trapped in the engine, which depending on engine size can vary, but for instance my Subaru it's about half liter of oil coating the inside of the engine and pooled here and there that doesn't drain out at an oil change.

My car took about an extra quart when I put a new engine in it. Normal oil change fill is 4.5 qts. It took 5.5 qts for the initial "dry" fill.

This is why I'm always entertained by those that go to extreme measures at oil changes to drain every last drop of oil out of the engine. Short of a full tear down, they are never getting all the oil out at oil change.

The Service Manual for the 2.5 in my Outback shows a 0.9 qt between total capacity and oil change capacity. Perhaps that is similar for larger engines? Or can it be much more?

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Next oil change put in 1 qt less. Mark the dip stick, now you know where 1qt low exactly is.....add a qt, now you know exactly where full is.
cheers3.gif

You would have to start the engine and run it, then let the oil drain back to the pan to know the exact 1 quart low level. I'd suggest doing it on level ground and letting it sit overnight after you start it, then mark it. Add a quart, drive the car as you normally would, let it sit overnight and mark the full level. When establishing the 1 quart low level I'd run the car for about a minute, then let it sit overnight. Overkill, paranoid about driving around low one quart, that depends on the sump side. I like to play it safe.
wink.gif
YMMV.

In my 2011 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L the manual says an oil change is 8 quarts with a filter change. I have read the total oil capacity of the 5.7 is 9.8 quarts.

I'm convinced the total capacity on my truck is even more due to the factory oil cooler. Here is why I say that. When I do an oil and filter change, 8 quarts only reads half way between the add and full mark. It takes another 1/2 quart to get the oil up to the full mark.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: oldhp
cheers3.gif

You would have to start the engine and run it, then let the oil drain back to the pan to know the exact 1 quart low level. I'd suggest doing it on level ground and letting it sit overnight after you start it, then mark it. Add a quart, drive the car as you normally would, let it sit overnight and mark the full level. When establishing the 1 quart low level I'd run the car for about a minute, then let it sit overnight. Overkill, paranoid about driving around low one quart, that depends on the sump side. I like to play it safe.
wink.gif
YMMV.

Yes, Starting, letting sit, checking.........adding 1qt goes without saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back