Dollar Tree 10w30 oil in a Briggs and Stratton 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally changed the oil on my lawn mower, which is about 10 years old. It had the original blue-dyed Briggs and Stratton branded SAE 30 it came with. Yard Machines lawn mower made by MTD, featuring the Briggs and Stratton 500-series engine, 158cc, 5hp.

I replaced it with SMB-brand 10w30 from the Dollar Tree. It comes in a 16oz bottle, which is perfect for small engine use, and is a synesthetic blend meeting API SN standards.

The original Champion RJ19LM spark plug was replaced with an NGK 5798 (aka BR2-LM). Autozone has the spark plug for $1.95, free shipping, no minimum.

Now the mower starts on the first pull
smile.gif

I don't visit the small engine forum much, but I'm sure some people here have used that little bottle for $1 in their small engines.

I use the same oil my truck takes in my 24HP B&S lawntractor. Synthetic 5w30. I also spin on a motorcraft FL400S filter. 200 hours so far (two changes) and oil looks good at OCI (a little dark but no glitter).

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That's right; I forgot to mention the engine in my mower doesn't have an oil filter
crazy2.gif

Most every push mower lacks an oil filter. Snapper makes a model which has one.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Most every push mower lacks an oil filter. Snapper makes a model which has one.

Wow, that's bizarre.......

My John Deere mower takes those tiny filters too.

As far as the SMB oil it's good stuff. I use it in a lot of small engines and the bottle is the right size too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back