New Ducati 1100cc Production V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a very compact engine. Bet it sounds sweet at redline.

Even more reasons why I won't ever be able to afford a Ducati.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks like a very compact engine. Bet it sounds sweet at redline.

It looks quite a bit larger in the second photo, but I checked the names against the story, and aside from the Ducati CEO, they're all factory riders, so, not that big men physically.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In 10 years will we see a V6?

Laverda had a V6 race bike 40 years ago. For several reasons, they aren't considered to be the best engine layout for Motorcycles.

Here's an onboard video of the old Laverda V6 race bike.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In 10 years will we see a V6?

Laverda had a V6 race bike 40 years ago. For several reasons, they aren't considered to be the best engine layout for Motorcycles.

Here's an onboard video of the old Laverda V6 race bike.

It would be awesome if Honda made a homologation special of their infamous MotoGp V5, but that'll probably never come to fruition.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm glad they decided to produce a V4, hopefully they will be able to catch-up to aprilia and get a 1000cc into a production bike.

They've already had a limited-production street-legal V4 in their Desmosedici RR.

The point of this announcement is that a new V4 street bike will be produced.

Originally Posted By: Analyzer

It would be awesome if Honda made a homologation special of their infamous MotoGp V5, but that'll probably never come to fruition.

I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Honda seems to be content making weird machines for markets that are all about practicality. Variations on scooters, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm glad they decided to produce a V4, hopefully they will be able to catch-up to aprilia and get a 1000cc into a production bike.

They've already had a limited-production street-legal V4 in their Desmosedici RR.

The point of this announcement is that a new V4 street bike will be produced.

You're correct! I should have said mass production consumer bike!

The last Honda V5 was 2006, not something they are going to do again. Love the firing intervals of the MotoGP bikes, and that they finally end up on street bikes.

V5 was produced to take advantage of a loophole in the regs, one which has since been closed. FWIW, the new mill uses the same Twin Pulse firing sequence (ie. 70-degree crank phasing) as the previous D16RR did. Gives it kind of a drony sound..... Impressive bit of kit to be sure..... As for old V4 urban legend about superior handling and all, Yamaha have done quite well in MotoGP with an inline four, and Suzuki shelved the previous GSR V4 MotoGP effort in favour of an I4 this time around..... could it be I4 packaging has its advantages too?

Interesting that they went with an 1100 for the street version, should make it more practical for real-world use (kind of like Aprilia boosting the displacement of the newest Tuono for the same reason)....

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I love V4 bikes. Different sound and amazing handling compared to regular inline 4.

different sound? any engine architecture can be designed, via crank phasing and firing sequence, to have any desired sound. most modern V4s (Aprilia V4, D16RR, RC45, Interceptor 800, VFR1200) are all V4s and all have different sounds. The same can be said for parallel twins: think a classic British twin (360 crank), classic small-displacement Japanese twin (180 crank), and late-generation Japanese twins (FZ7, Super Tenere 1200, Africa Twin) with their 270-degree cranks..... see a pattern here?

as for the magical V4 handling, see my previous post......

V4 are interesting and "different" (more exotic than more common I4s)... superior? in some ways yes, in some ways inferior..... it's all about compromise and designing/building to meet particular end goals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back