New Camry Hybrid really "thin oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKN

The engine is a 2.5-liter inline four that has variable valve timing, runs on the Atkinson cycle, and has a near-diesel 14.0:1 compression ratio. It also uses a new super lightweight 0w16 grade oil that further reduces internal friction and losses.

OK.

This oil has been in development for over 5 years and introduced last year by a number of companies.

The prius already has oil consumption issues upon reaching moderately high miles on uber thin oils. I certainly hope Toyota has addressed the piston ring sealing issues. Thin oils can work exceptionally well in properly designed engines.

Might not be a good choice for high performance engines. I tried using a very thin oil in my Turbo Miata years ago, in an attempt at more HP. I ended up with failed bearings and 250ppm Pb readings.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The prius already has oil consumption issues upon reaching moderately high miles on uber thin oils. I certainly hope Toyota has addressed the piston ring sealing issues. Thin oils can work exceptionally well in properly designed engines.

Might not be a good choice for high performance engines. I tried using a very thin oil in my Turbo Miata years ago, in an attempt at more HP. I ended up with failed bearings and 250ppm Pb readings.
If the ring tension is increased to stop oil use, won't that simply replace the friction lost by using the thin oil that burns?

The biggest key point of this engine is the variable pressure oil pump which increases oil pressure not with engine RPM but depending on engine load. At low RPM/high engine load the pump produces as much pressure as a regular engine at high RPM/min or max engine load.

Last edited:
So what do you think of the 0w16 oils Molacule?? That's what I would like to hear from you because you are on of the best on here when it comes to this subject.

Is 0W16 really that much thinner than 0w20?

I have some 0W20 Mobil1 for a prius I had that I never used. I plan on using on my scion Xb in the winter since it is a listed grade.

Curious what 0W will do for oil consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

The engine is a 2.5-liter inline four that has variable valve timing, runs on the Atkinson cycle, and has a near-diesel 14.0:1 compression ratio. It also uses a new super lightweight 0w16 grade oil that further reduces internal friction and losses.

Sounds like a Mazda SkyActiv engine.

14:1 is not a near diesel compression ratio and the calculated compression ratio is not the same as the effective ratio when considering overlap.
Toyota is really working close to the bone in an effort to wring just a little better fuel economy out of its mainstream best seller.
What the outcome will be in engine durability as well as engine oil consumption remains to be seen.
We know that Toyota has not always gotten the oil consumption part right.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The biggest key point of this engine is the variable pressure oil pump which increases oil pressure not with engine RPM but depending on engine load. At low RPM/high engine load the pump produces as much pressure as a regular engine at high RPM/min or max engine load.

Interesting , is the oil pump electric ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

Interesting , is the oil pump electric ?

It's still a crank driven oil pump. Not sure how the mechanism to vary oil pressure works but here's a diagram that shows how the pump works and the oil pressure mapping.

SQ1eKF1.png

Looks like another very complicated device to go wrong . :-(

But , it probably saves .01 MPG ! Directly or indirectly .

Best wishes & Thanks , :)

Originally Posted By: CKN

Where can you even buy that stuff? Is it uber expensive dealer only oil?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At some point if people are that worried about gas mileage, they should go all electric.

Or lace up their shoes and pound the pavement haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back