Mixing some 0w20 and 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
How safe would it be to mix amsoil 0w20 (a little less then a quart) and another 3qts of Mobil 1 0w30 in TGDI Civic? Have some amsoil left and going up on the grade so was wondering if the mix will be fine. Appreciate y'alls opinions

Mixing at a ratio of less than 1 qt of 0w20 to 3 qts of 0w30 likely won't make much difference at all. As far as 0w20 versus 0w30, it will be basically the same weight cold, at startup. Still best to use the oil type weight recommended by the OM. I have never ever seen an owners manual that recommendeds mixing different weights of oil. Best to go with what the oil weight the owner manual says IMO.

API oils must be mixable with other oils, so you'll be fine. Some blenders actually encourage it so you can get a custom viscosity.

It's safe. But not optimal. Not because of the viscosity difference. But, that the add packs for those 2 oils are quite different. If I;m mixing different brands oils, I much prefer to use those that have similar add packs.

Amsoil VOA

Mobil 1 PQIA

What blenders suggest this as good practice?? I am saying you are wrong about this. But I will say it is the first I have heard of this.
One aspect of note here as others have stated about this mixing.... Yes it can surely be done. However, all it really means is that API approved oils will not coagulate or form jello in your vehicle. It does not guruantee performance standards will be met or satisfied. This is true for the winter term rating part especially. Two different 0w's may well not equate real world 0w performance. For this reason it might not be advisable mixing two totally different oils if vehicle was going to experience the coldest limits of the winter rating.

Having stated this, I have a mix in my lady's Camry right now. It has 2 qts of 30 grade Warren and 1 qt of 30 grade Coastal, rislone and I just had to add 20ozs of Cam2 Superpromax the other day. It was put in July and it's coming out in just a bit. I don't mind mixing this up in the summer time. Coming up for the next run it will get Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 only and a new oil filter. No bigtime mixing for winter time.

Many of us took refraining from mixing as an article of faith for many years.
Along came Sonofjoe who in another thread basically debunked our concerns.
You'll end up with a thickish twenty with the mix you propose and the 0W qualification should still be met, as though that would actually matter in Texas.
Just as a matter of interest, is the Amsoil SSO or is it one of their API licensed products?
The API products are not too much different from M1.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I'm as frugal as the next guy, but it a quart of oil going to rock your bank account...

Why risk your engine's health over 6 bucks? My 2 cents.

How does ur engine suffer from less than a quart of non similar oil?.. wont make any difference. I dont think the car is able to figure out the difference.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I'm as frugal as the next guy, but it a quart of oil going to rock your bank account...

Why risk your engine's health over 6 bucks? My 2 cents.

How does ur engine suffer from less than a quart of non similar oil?.. wont make any difference. I dont think the car is able to figure out the difference.

Doubt it will do anything. However, I stopped mixing oils years ago after VVT, Fuel Management, DI, Turbos, etc. starting becoming the normal. It's not the days of the old 318's and 350's my dad and I used work on when I was a younger. I don't put anything in the crack case that isn't in the manual.

Y'all do what you want. Mix away. But, I'm not stressing over wasting a quart of oil.

pardon my English. was gonna say "that would be rich in detergent SS"

Originally Posted By: bbhero
What blenders suggest this as good practice?? I am saying you are wrong about this. But I will say it is the first I have heard of this.

Red Line, Motul, and Renewable Lube come to mind.

To be clear, they advocate mixing their own oils together, not cocktails of multiple brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back