Castrol Edge - Now marketed for GDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw now that Castrol Edge is marketed for it's low calcium formulation to appeal to GDI engine owners ... I believe only GDI turbo engine owners should worry about higher calcium levels (i.e. LSPI) while non-turbo GDI is not impacted ?

That's my understanding after reading the Oronite paper.
Mobil 1 has been low calcium for a while and I think that will be the future trend for a while as small GDI turbo engines are becoming more mainstream. I have had no problems running higher calcium oils (QSUD, PP etc...) in my GDI non-turbo Focus.

I don't recall seeing any UOA that suggests Castrol is low-calcium; most seem to have about the same calcium level as SOPUS products and much more than M1. Or maybe this is a recent forumaltion change?

OP, yes, LSPI is an issue for some small displacement direct injectioned turbo applications. This has not been an issue for GDi normally aspirated vehicles. As per formulation changes, Havoline has lowered Calcium as per current voa. I'm sure others have as well or will follow suit.

I recently posted in the UOA forum my 7,000 mile run with Mobil 1 5W-30 in our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer. It showed that the Mobil 1 5W-30 has a reading of 1025 for calcium and 544 for magnesium. That's about half the calcium you usually see but they are now using some magnesium instead. Obviously it's working because my wear metals were low and after 7,000 miles the TBN was 3.9.

Whimsey

It seems like MOST of the M1 oils are in the 1000 range or lower. I would like to run Redline or some other oils, but even though supposedly some additives mitigate calcium's influence on LSPI, why not just use a low calcium oil? The shearing/dilution issue can be managed through OCI, etc., not so the calcium.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
GDI vehicles don't like calcium?

I guess I'll stop feeding my Sonata milk.

If you will read that topic AGAIN....you will realize that only TURBO gdi vehicles have that problem
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back