Are there "boutique" oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many of you won't use boutique oils b/c of the price/bang for buck, but are there boutique oil filters that do x and y better on paper? I'd rather spend more at the filter level and get a better product (goal: long engine life/better flow) than going Amsoil or other high end oils.

So if there is a filter for sale at a relatively low price point, manufactured by a major filter manufacturer and has excellent published ISO filtration numbers then what would you get by spending more? Or on the other side, what if you use an OEM filter with supposed low filtration efficiency for over 375,000 miles (such as I have done in my old Sienna), what would be gained from using these boutique filters?

One might come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what oil filter you use, or at least that there is no advantage to something that costs a lot of money.

BTW, there are no boutique oil filters that do x or y better on paper than one you can buy just about anywhere. Other filters might get you better testimonials, a cool can color or a flashier website, but the whole "on paper" part is going to be missing.

It's not just cost.

Several boutique filters just don't filter as well as some regular off the shelf filters. So what's the point?

If there was a boutique filter that was proven to filter better in all respects for longer than the norm, many wouldn't buy it.
Don't even think about posting what does "filter better" mean- That is just a way to up your posting numbers. I suspect the old
Sienna van that Kschachn talks about would have lived just as long with conventional oil through its veins too..........

When men talk of grease and oil reality really doesn't matter much. They do what they want to do and often none of it makes sense.
We do have some great oil filters out there and often the best are in the $6-$10 range- so no need to really go boutique..

I'll never spend $15 to $20 on say a Royal Purple filter, if I can buy a Fram Ultra for $6-8 and it's good for 20K miles of service. I do 5K miles oil changes in our M35, so it's very convenient for me to run the Ultra for 2-3 intervals and not have to remove 20 bolts on my splash shield every time.

For me, it's cost and convenience first.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I'll never spend $15 to $20 on say a Royal Purple filter, if I can buy a Fram Ultra for $6-8 and it's good for 20K miles of service. I do 5K miles oil changes in our M35, so it's very convenient for me to run the Ultra for at least two intervals and not have to remove 20 bolts on my splash shield every time.

For me, it's cost and convenience first.

Not to mention the Ultra is one of the better filters available.

For the F150, I use an Amsoil filter (made by Donaldson). I guess it could be considered a boutique filter. However when I bought them by the case they were the same cost as a Fram Ultra, and at up to 25k miles of use, synthetic media and good filtration it's the one I settled on. (and yes, using Amsoil on extended drains had a part in that decision)

I've considered going Wix XP for 15k as that's a solid unit... or FU as well. I may do so once my case of EaO17's have been used.

I've used Royal Purple filters a few in the past, because I get a really good discount on all filters through work including those. I found them to look really nice and have really good construction, but I have no data to say they are better than something cheaper. Also used Wix XP which is "premium" but now I've just standardized on Wix filters because I don't have to order them from the warehouse (like the Royal Purple filters) and for my OCIs and applications the RP filters were overkill.

In terms of filters i always use OEM when possible.
I've had mostly Fords and Motorcraft air, oil filters are generally built to a good standard and are not very expensive.

OEM oil filters also ensure that for example the Bypass valve opening pressure is spot on for your particular engine too.

Amsoil & Royal Purple filters are made by Donaldson.
Fram Ultra is also very good.
Very little info on Purolator Boss.

I would run any of them, but recently got an EXCELLENT deal on a batch of Donaldsons.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Maybe those uber expensive stainless steel ones.

The ones with stainless mesh screen inside? Not worthless... but not worth it.

Air-cooled VW Beetles with type 1 engines used "screen door screen" as an "oil filter"!

IMO boutique filtration requires re-engineering, and plumbing. Remote bypasses, etc. Otherwise you've just got another stupid can on there.

Yes there are. Enter Microgreen oil filters. with an additional microfilter that filters 2-5 micron size.

Marketing slogan, "Change your filter, not your oil." Used one a few years ago. I'd keep using them but I feel they are overpriced, and I don't really know how well they filter. A MC 820 could do the same job for me. As others have stated, a good air filter is more important.

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1655024

I'm a fan of amsoil filters. Purely personal preference
whistle.gif

I always thought the boutique filters were just other name brands re-labeled at an additional 30% markup. I just buy Wix or Donaldson Blue by the case to keep on the shelf for the Jeep & Ram HD. Don't see the point in paying more when it's not necessary. I can source the Donaldson Blue for the same price as Fleetguard lately, and the Wix for under $4 each.

Goodness gracious that's some expensive oil filters.

How long would you have to use the same $163 (before shipping I assume) oil filter before breaking even vs buying an $8 throw away filter during each 5k interval? Seems like a long time before the financial gain is reached. Will I even still have the car at that point?

I won't even get into the filtering ability of any "washable & reusable" filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back