Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Here is an interesting document that just showed up on Valvoline's website.
Notice on the first page, the 0W-16 is not listed as Dexos Gen. 2 or GF-5
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3

10W-30 isn't either, what is your point?

No point. I'd just like to know why. Whether or not GM is using 16 oils now, they probably will be.

Actually, I do have a point. Over my life, one thing I have been able to do, more so than most, is pick out seemingly insignificant details, and figure out something. You could call it "trend analysis"
smile.gif
Now, there have been times I would have sworn there was something going on, and I was dead wrong. Just recently I did a statistical crime analysis on the violent crime rate, comparing Denver and Colorado Springs. I would have bet that the Springs rate (per capita) was higher than Denver, at least recently. I used data from 1985-2015, and nope, I was wrong. Now there is 2016 and 2017(coming) which may prove me out, so who knows. However, I formed a hypothesis and the data does not back me up.
The point, you ask?
smile.gif

Valvoline just went through the testing and formulation process for this 16 oil. Probably more importantly, they printed a new PI sheet
grin.gif
. So, they expect the info on the PI sheet to be current for a year or two. If Dexos Gen. 2 was pending, they would have waited. Therefore, it is possible that this oil is not going to be Dexos Gen.2. It is probable that GM is going to have to go to 16 oils pretty soon. If they are not going to Dexos license this oil, what standard is it going to fall under? I have hope that the manufacturers are going to fall into line(in the U.S.) under these two(three?)new GF-6 standards. It is getting to the point, with little exaggeration, that every engine is going to have a different manufacturer oil spec or standard. That is why I am hoping for the GF-6 unification. Maybe, just maybe, this sheet may point a little in that direction. We will see.
And that was my point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back