What happened to Controlling Download Destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just an impression, but I've only been forced off a legacy XP machine fairly recently, and it seems to me that download dialogues mostly used to give you a "save as" option which allowed you to control where it went.

Now it seems they mostly don't.

This does not feel like progress, especially if you are forced to use a Chinese language computer, as I am right now following failure of both my laptops on successive days.

In that situation, downloads (eg spreadsheet downloaded as Excel off Google Drive/Sheet) effectively disappear into the Mandarin Morass.

It's a browser setting. Change it if you don't like it. Can't change it? Change browsers.

Most browsers now have a "recent downloads" or somesuch that list downloads for the past session, offer launching the file, or opening in a file manager. So for the average user, finding a file is not so hard. (Unless that recent downloads icon is hidden).

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Yuuuup.

The default on most applications is user/downloads, in any case.

So for his old XP machine would be
C:\Documents and Settings\\Downloads

or

C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Downloads

On all the browsers I use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera) you can still right click on a link to choose the download location. Google drive/docs may be a special case because of all the fancy javascript they use.

In chrome:
W2NepDW.png

Alternatively, you may right click -> save as

Well, I'll have another look when I get my laptop fixed. At the moment I'm restricted to Chinese language computers in the library, which makes things quite difficult, and changes may well be administratively restricted.

Google drive applications were a way of partly escaping from the Chinese interface and applications, but its a bit clunky. I'll try the online Office stuff on One Drive too. Maybe portable apps might work, since the USB ports don't seem to be disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back