Slow leak---will I have time to drive 5 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a compressor that will let me pump up the air in a tire that I saw today had a slow leak (Sienna). I live about 5 miles away from an Americas Tire location.

If the tire can stay over 30 psi while it is stationary in my driveway for 20-30 mins, does that mean that it can last that long if I drive on it? Or would more air get pushed out, quicker, when it is being driven?

No one can tell you what will happen. Put the spare on, take the bad wheel off and take it in, or just take your chances on damaging your tire, wheel, vehicle or others.

Agree with putting on the spare for safety.

Probably be able to make it 5 miles but no guarantee...

Slow to post before seeing above replies...
Why not put on the spare (with it close to its specified pressure)? Is it that difficult? If that is not possible, I *MIGHT* be tempted to pump the leaking tire nearly to the maximum pressure indcated on the sidewall and drive EARLY in the AM to a place that can likely repair it.

Kevin

Last edited:
Sounds good. I just checked again---it lost about 10 psi in about 20 minutes, so that leak isn't too slow. Not gonna chance it at all. I'll put the spare on and hand it to them to fix if they can.

Darn first flat in all the years I've owned this car. Oh well a first time for everything. Given my record with previous cars, this is pretty good, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Just put a tire plug in it yourself. Bam - leak fixed!

I agree.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Just put a tire plug in it yourself. Bam - leak fixed!

I agree.

x3

Walmart has them. Slime brand I think? (I'm not a fan of their actual slime product.)

You need to find the leak. If its a nail in the tire and in the middle of the tread you're probably fine to pump it up to 35 or so PSI and get there.

If the nail is near the edge of the tire say last 1/2" before the it turns up to the side wall, then you are at the end of the belts and it may open up on you.

I'm not a fan of plugs, Prefer patchs from the inside.

Get some soapy water (dish soap that makes lots of suds) and drench the tire. Look for suds the make a decision.

If you have the spare on, you might get better customer service. As in you can leave your bad tire then drive for starbucks a block away etc. If you're waiting with the bad tire on your car they might have all their service bays full etc.

Played it safe and put on teh spare this morning. Left my house at 815 AM, and here i am at 846 typing this. No cost. Can't complain about AT service, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back