2010 Ford Fusion 2.5 - 7,509 mi - Valv ML 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is the 2nd oil change I've done, following the valve job / top-end work I had done.

Previous one was a shorter OCI, but for this one I ran the full 7,500 miles to really see what the oil stirred up.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results. Tells me the engine is settling in and cleaning up pretty well.

I was really hoping that Copper and Silicon levels would be back down to base levels, like they were 2 OCIs ago, but considering they have come down substantially (in ppm/mile), I'll take the trend. At least Aluminum and Iron are pretty much back to normal.

What does everyone think?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd be happy with that. Was this ML syn-blend or the full syn?

Just the standard, no-frills, red-bottle MaxLife.. syn-blend. It's also what went back into the engine for my current OCI, plus a 15-oz bottle of LubeGard bio-tech.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Just the standard, no-frills, red-bottle MaxLife.. syn-blend. It's also what went back into the engine for my current OCI, plus a 15-oz bottle of LubeGard bio-tech.

7.5K with possible 10K OCI from a blend? Nice! What oil filter?

Please get UOA on that combo! This looks good though, settling for sure

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

7.5K with possible 10K OCI from a blend? Nice! What oil filter?

The filter on for this OCI was a Bosch Distance+ 3422

I've run many 7500 mile OCIs on syn-blends, and if I remember correctly, at least one on a blend that was 2qt Castrol Syn-blend and ~3.7qt conventional (so basically, maybe 1qt synth out of 5.7). Keep in mind, though, that about 93% of my driving is highway, and about 80% of that is with the cruise set at about 72mph (@ 2100rpm).

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Please get UOA on that combo! This looks good though, settling for sure

I will be. FYI, I also saved some of the virgin blend of the MaxLife with LubeGard..thinking about sending that in for a VOA to compare to the UOA.

I am always impressed with the results attained by individuals who use Valvoline MaxLife (Red Bottle).
Can't remember anyone having issues with this Oil.

Your 2.5 is one sweet wearing engine....I hope the 2.5 in my wife's Escape is as durable (and I'm sure it will be).
I chose the Escape S over the more optioned versions because I wanted the 2.5 (over the 1.6 Ecoboost) and I'm glad I did. Valvoline doesn't look impressive on VOAs (IMO) but it nearly always gives great UOAs. It seems to work great in your 2.5. I hope you make it to 483K...

PS: I picked up a few of those Bosch DP 3422's at WM...I'm thinking of running them 2 OCIs of 5 to 6K each (10 to 12K total). My reasoning is based on the fact that the Fram Ultra is now spec'd for 20K and the DP must be at least half as good...also, it allows me to do the 2nd OC from above with the Mityvac, also my engine is newer with no sludge (16K)....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm thinking of running them 2 OCIs of 5 to 6K each (10 to 12K total). My reasoning is based on the fact that the Fram Ultra is now spec'd for 20K and the DP must be at least half as good...also, it allows me to do the 2nd OC from above with the Mityvac, also my engine is newer with no sludge (16K)....

Perfect, sounds like a good plan. Just don't tell BlueOvalFitter that and you'll be ok.
smile.gif

I'm thinking of running them 2 OCIs of 5 to 6K each (10 to 12K total). My reasoning is based on the fact that the Fram Ultra is now spec'd for 20K and the DP must be at least half as good...also, it allows me to do the 2nd OC from above with the Mityvac, also my engine is newer with no sludge (16K)....

Perfect, sounds like a good plan. Just don't tell BlueOvalFitter that and you'll be ok.
smile.gif

I've never run an oil filter more than one OCI but with the latest synthetic media filters and the PITA to remove bellypan on both of my Fords (and I assume most other makes) I may start....the Mityvac makes it so easy.

The other thing that makes this palatable to me is the notion that leaving a small amount of the older oil in the motor may help keep the tribofilm on engine parts....

Yes, plus the filter will become more efficient with use. The air filter is the important one. Change when needed to keep silicon readings down. I've seen high si readings when going over the 30k mark.

Your 2.5 is one sweet wearing engine....I hope the 2.5 in my wife's Escape is as durable (and I'm sure it will be).
I chose the Escape S over the more optioned versions because I wanted the 2.5 (over the 1.6 Ecoboost) and I'm glad I did. Valvoline doesn't look impressive on VOAs (IMO) but it nearly always gives great UOAs. It seems to work great in your 2.5.

I must say - I agree with you. This engine is wearing very well, but I'd say that more than likely, it's a good example of this model of engine as a whole. There's a reason Ford has used it in so many vehicles, and for so long; It's a solid engine. As far as I know, the 2.5 that comes in the 2013-2017 model Escapes and Fusions is basically the same engine as the one that came in the 2010 Fusions and Escapes.. aside from maybe some basic tweaks. It should do well for you if you take care of it, which I assume you will.

I hope you make it to 483K...

Ah.. I see you've read my other posts regarding this engine etc.. and that you made note of my goal. Thanks.. I feel reasonably certain that it will hit that mark. On a side note, she did actually make it 1/2 way last night on my way home from work. She's officially made it to the moon.

PS: I picked up a few of those Bosch DP 3422's at WM...I'm thinking of running them 2 OCIs of 5 to 6K each (10 to 12K total). My reasoning is based on the fact that the Fram Ultra is now spec'd for 20K and the DP must be at least half as good...also, it allows me to do the 2nd OC from above with the Mityvac, also my engine is newer with no sludge (16K)....

I'm guessing this should work.. but I'll be cutting open the one I just removed quite soon, so you can see how it held up for the ~7,500 miles it was run. Personally, I feel I could have left the oil in, and the filter on, for 10,000 miles, but considering the wear metals and particles still in the engine from the work I had done about 11,000 miles ago, I figured I better err on the side of caution.

Absolutely a very good plan pbm. I would say that Bosch distance plus would be able to roll for that mileage with no problems at all. I run my filters for two or three runs. One thing I think MUST be put in the oil filter boxes is capacity for that SPECIFIC filter. A xg-2 can have a WHOLE LOT more capacity than a hooptyfied 6607 that's very small.

I have a 2011 Fusion as well, which has averaged slightly less than 1ppm Fe/1k miles since I got it at 19k (110k now). I've used mainly Napa Platinum and Amsoil filters, but I bought about 8 MicroGreen MG301-1s since I had a gift card. We'll see if they make any noticeable difference.

Sir, good to see your Fusion seems to have recovered after the burnt valve incident (or whatever specifically it was). Has your mileage improved yet?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I have a 2011 Fusion as well, which has averaged slightly less than 1ppm Fe/1k miles since I got it at 19k (110k now). I've used mainly Napa Platinum and Amsoil filters, but I bought about 8 MicroGreen MG301-1s since I had a gift card. We'll see if they make any noticeable difference.

I doubt you will see any difference in the Fe numbers - The Fe is very likely either far to small for any filter to grab, or is basically in solution. Couldn't hurt though.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Sir, good to see your Fusion seems to have recovered after the burnt valve incident (or whatever specifically it was). Has your mileage improved yet?

Thanks. No real improvement in mpg yet. The service was performed in April, and since I got it back, it's been pretty hot to my A/C has been working all the time. My commute is also longer now, and I've been fighting much worse traffic, so more rush hour/bumper-to-bumper, which uses more fuel. On the plus side, I appear to basically be about the SAME as I was prior to the work, so perhaps with all the A/C and everything in the mix, this means I'm technically doing better.

I just realized that the VML is 5w30. Have you always run 5w20 up to now or did you 'go up a grade' as the miles went up?

The two Duratechs I have had are outstanding. However the Focus was totaled in June and it had 175K. The 2007 Fusion still performs great with no oil use in my normal 10K OCI. My 2017 Fusion(2.5) to date uses no oil. Great engines.

I just realized that the VML is 5w30. Have you always run 5w20 up to now or did you 'go up a grade' as the miles went up?

Phoenix weather never gets what I would call 'cold' - Even in winter, the highs are usually in the 50s and 60s, and lows are almost never below about 35 at night. Summers, on the other hand, regularly get over 110, and often over 115, with nighttime lows in the upper 80s or even low 90s.

.. as a result, I frequently use 5w- and 10w-30 oils in the warmer months. This is partly for peace of mind, but it's also because, with the higher heat and regular highway driving, I suspect there is a bit of shear-down happening. No proof, of course, but the UOA results certainly bear it out.

Don't these charts in our owners manuals (maybe not 2017+ vehicles, which probably only say to use -5w07 oil) basically say that if your temps are towards the HOT range, you can safely use thicker oil, because there's just no need for a 0w20 at 80-90F ambient temp during your morning "cold start". Hahahaha. I mean, within 20 seconds of idling, the oil temp is nice and toasty over 100F+

Oil Viscosity Chart

Funny how it shows 5w20 being only good for 68F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back