Honda Motorcycle Oil filter, unknown miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an OEM Honda oil filter from my new to me '94 Honda VT1100.
No idea on how many miles on it.

Was planning on changing it regardless because I change all fluids on vehicles I buy, plus this filter had a dent in it from hitting something (apparently a not so uncommon thing on these bikes).

Dented filter on bike:

another view:

No idea what the actual filter P/N is:

Baseplate shot with center tube:

Silicone ADV and metal endcaps (filter in background is a ST2 off my truck)

Metal crimp seam:

Leaf Spring

Inside can shot, better view on dent internally:

Overall a solid filter. No idea who makes it. No idea what the efficiency is.
Silicone ADV still very pliable. Filter looks almost new except for the dent.
Little bit of rust on the top of the inside filter can, but no big deal.

Installed a ST6607 and Supertech 15w-40 for a 500 mile flush.
A lot smaller than the Honda filter, but Fram shows the PH6017A to be the correct filter, which is the exact same size as the 6607. Not crazy about the nitrile combo valve in it either, but as I said, it is a short run.
I grabbed a few clearance TG3593a filters, which are very close to the OEM Honda size. I think the TG is a great alternative since it has the silicone ADV, and with the high heat of motorcycles (even though water cooled) is a good thing to have.

I just got a couple of those TG filters from Walmart for .75 cents
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: asleepz
I just got a couple of those TG filters from Walmart for .75 cents
grin.gif

Yeah, I have heard some WM have them as cheap as $0.50.
They were still $1.50 each at my store, but still a good deal (cheaper than the ST filter).

I left 4 of the 3593a on the shelf.
If they are still there in a few weeks, I will check to see if they have dropped in price more.

Looks low enough on the bike that it may drag on a truck's tailgate or ramp while loading and unloading. Kind of vulnerable, IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Fram 7317 matches the size of the one you have and is more common.

Also a NAPA or Wix- 1356

Yeah, but the WM by me did not have any of the TG7317 on clearance.
Also, the 7317 is a touch longer than the 3593a, but is a much smaller diameter. Once the 3593a stash is gone, I will probably go to the 7317 (unless I have issues with the extra length dragging).

Originally Posted By: khittner
Looks low enough on the bike that it may drag on a truck's tailgate or ramp while loading and unloading. Kind of vulnerable, IMHO.

Good point, bike was trailered from Dallas by the previous owner, would make sense.

Your filter is looking pretty solid. How was the oil which was already in it?

Is TG3593A and Fram7317 on special at Walmart too?

The oil was a little dark coming out, but still clear. I would say I could have easily gone another 1000 miles on the oil itself.
With the filter needing to be replaced though, I would have lost a lot of the oil when it came off.

As for the filters at Walmart, they had a clearance on the "old" Toughguard filters. Most stores are out, but some may have some still on clearance, which models they have will vary.

Just a comparison of what the Honda Filter looks like and what the Fram site says is the correct size (6607).

full-4879-12102-1.jpg

The 3593A size filter that I will be using is a lot closer to the size of the Honda one.

Looks like a DENSO oil filter to me if I had to guess. Center tube and baseplate gasket gave it away. Looks like a smaller version of the OEM Toyota filter used on my truck.

I've used a Honda A01 car filter, which is PH7317 sized on a friend's CBR600F3 and it works fine - he had an S2K PH3593A sized filter but it didn't physically fit.

The filter too is in a vulnerable spot, at least on the CBR the exhaust piping is in the way of the filter. Why didn't Honda move the filter to a little bit of a safer position?

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've used a Honda A01 car filter, which is PH7317 sized on a friend's CBR600F3 and it works fine - he had an S2K PH3593A sized filter but it didn't physically fit.

The filter too is in a vulnerable spot, at least on the CBR the exhaust piping is in the way of the filter. Why didn't Honda move the filter to a little bit of a safer position?

Yeah, I wonder the same thing.
Before I bought more of the 3593a filters I compared the one I had (for my sisters Hyundai) to the Honda one I took off, and they are almost the exact same diameter, so not worried about it fitting. The Honda filter still had a little room around it, and the 3593a will not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back