Accidentally depressurized the A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to remove the AC pulley from the 97 Maxima, hoping to replace the pulley bearing.
I removed the bolt holding the clutch plate and the clutch plate itself.
Then I removed the first snap ring.
Then I made a boo-boo and removed another snap ring

and then a vapor and yellow oil blew in my in face. I jumped out of the way, scraping my elbow and leg on the pavement and rushed into the bathroom to wash my self and my eyes.
I return to the car, the spraying had stopped by now and I see the results:

It looks like I depressurized the AC by removing some kind of seal. I have to stop doing all but the most simple tasks while it's hot, I can't think straight or concentrate in such discomfort.

After about 20 minutes, I got my head together and I reinstalled the seal and the snap ring, then installed the clutch plate back so that seal part stays clean.
Please see photo for compressor model.

I unplugged the compressor electrical connector and installed a 36" serpentine belt to bypass the A/C. I have been driving the car like this for 2 days.
I do want to fix the A/C though. Any pointers?
The bearing seems to be a NSK 928 40bd219duk.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Hmm, You might need a new compressor.

Seems a bit extreme? Why not just recharge the system and add the right amount of compressor oil?

All of these systems were dry at one point and had to be charged. A system that has been vented is not inherently broken right?

Originally Posted By: zorobabel

I do want to fix the A/C though. Any pointers?

The system will need to be pumped down, evacuated of all air and moisture.

Take it to someone that can do this and charge it by weight.

Replace the oil that got blown out. Hard to say how many oz that is though.
If you don't, the compressor will seize.

Also, be aware that refrigerant seals and O-rings are harmed by ordinary engine oils. It's a different system, treat it with respect. I don't know if you'll get away with reusing the seal.

Why didn't you just install the new bearing? Install it, and have the system vac'd and recharged.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Chalk it up to experience. At least you weren't injured in the process.

+1 get the system vacuumed and recharged. It's probably going to need some PAG oil too.

Definitely tell the shop what happened so they can check for leaks around that area just in case.

An evac and recharge is easy. I do mine at home with a vac-pump, scale, and a set of manifold gauges. I think the more difficult part here would be determining how much oil was lost as you'll need to replenish it

I'd pull the compressor, drain all the oil out, replace the seal, bearing & 2 hose Orings. Reinstall & put in the correct oil level. If you have a friendly Nissan dealer, they can tell you how much oil to put into a dry compressor from the repair manual. You don't want to guess how much oil to add in a situation like this

You took out the shaft seal, and careful practice needs to be exercised, one nick from the shaft splines can take out the seal.

ACKits online stocks repair kits for those compressors as well as the shaft seal and installation tool, although you can wrap the splines in electrical tape and very slowly and carefully walk it over and drive it home. The hard part is getting a bearing. Evac and recharge the system, add enough oil to compensate for a new compressor, minus the amount in the drier, evap and condenser - should be an underhood label with the total amount, I think it's .5oz for the drier and 1oz for evap/condenser that have to be subtracted from total fill. Check the repair manual for the oil balancing procedure.

If you can get the bearing, go ahead and replace it if able. Same with the seal if you can get one. Then go get the system recharged, they will apply vacuum and test for leaks first. Your AC clutch will also not engage is there isn't enough refrigerant pressure in the system so no need to disconnect the connector or belt.

Last edited:
I've made a similar mistake when doing A/C work, with a sticky Schrader valve

You were wearing your safety squints? Right?

Might want to get those eyes checked

Back to the problem at hand

My past luck with compressor repair isn't great, short of pulley swapping

I'd prepare the $210-$245 for a new compressor, add in a receiver/dryer for good measure

Evac and charge as usual

6.8 ounces compressor oil entire system
2.5 ounces compressor oil for evaporator replacement
2.5 ounces compressor oil for condenser replacement

Compressor oil PAG Type-S Nissan part# KLH00-PAGS0

1.43 (+/- 0.11) pounds system capacity of refrigerant R143a

Doesn't tell you the specific oil capacity for the compressor itself. Says to measure oil drained from old compressor. If I had to guess I'd say about 3 ounces.

Man... If I do that I would possibly be facing a thirty thousand dollar fine. Actually, I would have to KNOWINGLY do it but still...

Amazon has new compressor with clutch, oring, oil, desiccant and expansion valve for a good price. Look for Buyautoparts as the seller if interested.

Gotta love post and run members..
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Gotta love post and run members..
crazy.gif

Sorry, that was not my intention. I usually follow up.
I should have responded to all the great replies here, but other things came up while the thread was hot.
Thank you for the replies!
I should be getting the bearing Monday and I'll get back to the refrigerant issue after the pulley is re-installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back