Reasonably good 5 gallon gas can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a 5-gallon gas can. Does anyone have a recommendation? There are loads on Walmart or Amazon but none have the best reviews. I am going to use this can almost every week, hence I want something that won't start leaking in just a couple of uses.

Thanks in advance.

Check VP racing fuel cans. Solid product but a little more expensive than the cheapo blow molded junk you find in the big box stores. I got mine off of amazon.

I have owned a No-Spill 2.5 gallon for years now, and it's the best that I have ever owned. Five gallon would be expensive.

I was at Brainerd International raceway last weekend and almost everyone was toting a VP racing jug.
I'm cheap and mostly siphon gas to its destination so I use whatever I've found at garage sales. Had a double take as gas went up 18 cents this AM? Hope it goes down by end of the month when I plan on starting to travel about 6k miles at 10 mpg

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I have good luck with the NATO style cans. I splurged on one of the pricier ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-USA-JC0020...ywords=nato+can

You can get cheaper steel cans, but they may not be as good. 5 gallons of gas and a steel can does get pretty heavy though. I got the non EPA regulated spouts, I read that they pour a little better.

Yeah, those Nazi era German designed 20l gas cans are probably the best you can buy. Very popular across the entire world.

Safety cans (Just rite, Eagle) are hands down the best option out there. But, you pay for it.

I have a 2.5 gal for regular nd a 1 gal for premix. I think both cams cost me $80

For the price, the 5ga plastic things from Costco are decent. Still has the EPA mandated spill-ensuring spout, but there are ways to solve that issue.

No Spill from Tractor Supply. I have five of them. I think that they hit the sweet spot for function and price.

I got Eagles 2 gallon safety cans. They are much easier to lift than the 5 gallon versions. I order them from Ace Hardware.

They cost almost as much as a 5 gallon model, but they are much easier to pour, more resistant to dents.

Around the house a round 5gal Eagle safety can is great, but if you are transporting, a NATO can is better, easier to strap down.

Last edited:
Do the No Spill Cans work on a fueling up a car. Look good for vertical fill but maybe not so good inserted into car.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I got Eagles 2 gallon safety cans. They are much easier to lift than the 5 gallon versions. I order them from Ace Hardware.

They cost almost as much as a 5 gallon model, but they are much easier to pour, more resistant to dents.

Around the house a round 5gal Eagle safety can is great, but if you are transporting, a NATO can is better, easier to strap down.

I got my dad an eagle can a few years ago. he couldn't stand it, and somehow spilled more than with the push/lock CARB junk.
so he sold it at a garage sale. for $5.

some lucky skunk around here got a barely used 5 Gal Eagle safety can for $5!

Originally Posted By: walterjay
No Spill from Tractor Supply. I have five of them. I think that they hit the sweet spot for function and price.

x2

Unless you really have to have the military style metal cans, No-spill is the best.

For the guy asking about filling up cars with them, they sell an 8" Tygon extension hose with a cap as an accessory, I have one on my 5 gallon can and it works great!
NSS6_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back