M1 5W-30, 7K, 2017 2.3 EB Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

This 7,000 mile OCI was done in a 2 month period, obviously mainly highway. As for history the factory fill was replaced by the dealer at 2,000 miles with their shop conventional 5W-30. I replaced that at 3,200 miles of use right before our trips with the Mobil 1 5W-30 which was at 5.200 miles on the odometer. The Mobil 1 5W-30 was run for 7,000 miles. Since I had Motorcraft 5W-30 on hand I will use that for next 5,000 miles and change back to Mobil 1 5W-30 which I've been stocking up with their rebates
grin2.gif
. I will do an UOA with the Motorcraft oil at 5,000 miles to see how it did in regular "everyday" driving. Over all this UOA seems pretty good for a newish vehicle with direct injection and a turbo
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Opps, Blackstone left out the AL reading, it's 4, the same as their average.

Whimsey

I'd prob keep the interval to 7000-7500 miles to stay safe.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Currently a great deal on Castrol-EDGE oil at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/34039135

Thanks, but so far I've been able to accumulate enough Mobil 1 5W-30 for $11 to $13 for a 5 qt jug after MIR, which I always received, though it might take 10 weeks to get the rebate. AS long as they keep offering the rebate I'll keep stocking up with Mobil 1.

Whimsey

Forgot to mention that the Ford iOLM was at 29% oil life still left when I did the oil change at 7,000 miles.

Whimsey

Last edited:
That's a very nice UOA especially considering the low miles.

I was expecting more wear metals and silicon due to the low mileage.

I'm impressed.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang

I'm impressed.

I am as well. Typically wear metals are all over the place with an engine new as this. Now the turbo and DI are something I am not found of.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Canadastang

I'm impressed.

I am as well. Typically wear metals are all over the place with an engine new as this. Now the turbo and DI are something I am not found of.

Maybe changing the factory fill at 2,000 miles and changing the "complementary" dealer oil change after an additional 3,200 miles might have flushed enough of the initial wear materials out for this UOA to be decent. I have to say I'm pleasantly happy with this early UOA. We'll see how the next UOA with the Motorcraft 5W-30 and LC20 does after 5,000 miles in everyday driving.

Whimsey

I agree with everyone else...That's a great looking UOA, especially for the low mileage on the engine. Thanks for also tracking your OLM and posting it here. Mine ranges from 6,500ish miles to 10,000 depending upon my idle time. Looks like you're driving is right to that 10,000 mile limit Ford sets.

M1 seems to shear down towards the bottom limits in the EBs. My previous UOAs are about the same. Low wear metals are good, but not sure how long that would last if you went a full oil cycle. At least you know you can go further without too much risk.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I know this is a 2.3 with the 4.3 qt. sump, but I am still very encouraged by this UOA. This is the stuff I am running in the 2.7's right now.

Actually with the small filter, FL910S it has a 5.7 quart capacity. So I would guess the actual sump size is closer to 5.5 quarts. Which seems to be a good size for a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine.

Whimsey

Great Numbers, Whimsey!

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Forgot to mention that the Ford iOLM was at 29% oil life still left when I did the oil change at 7,000 miles.

You can obviously go longer........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back