Wheeler Dealers Back October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh...

Edd was the show for me...I could do without Mike's loud, over enthusiastic, style...I still like the cars, so maybe...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Meh...

Edd was the show for me...I could do without Mike's loud, over enthusiastic, style...I still like the cars, so maybe...

If Ant is what we see in the 2nd video, I could be convinced to watch.

If it's just Mike and Ant playing a more mechanically minded Mike, meh.

They got rid of the wrong guy.
smile.gif

About the only show I enjoy watching reruns. I wonder why Edd left in the first place? I doubt the show would want to get rid of him unless he wanted too much money. Some of the reruns go back to 2009 so a pretty good run.

I think we hashed it out here before. I think they wanted less of the in shop stuff, as it was harder to film. Lots of filming for little final product.

I don't think it was money, but differences in how they each thought the program should be.

Edd China's Statement

Unfortunately, on Velocity’s first attempt at producing the show they found Wheeler Dealers “too difficult to make”, “at least in its current format.”

In particular, the detailed and in depth coverage of my fixes in the workshop; what I consider to be the backbone and USP of the programme, are something Velocity feel should be reduced. The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make and reducing their substance and role in the show will save the production considerable time, effort and therefore money.

However, this new direction is not something I am comfortable with as I feel the corners I was being asked to cut compromised the quality of my work and would erode my integrity as well as that of the show, so I have come to the conclusion that my only option is to let Velocity get on with it, without me.

I often find myself fast forwarding past the Mike Brewer segments when he is alone on screen.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Edd was the reason I watched the show. Mike was a lot of background noise.

Ant is very good, i have watched some of his other programmes.

And seen the early Land Rover he rebuilt first hand and it really looked great.

He also used to be a Police Officer. And not a run of the mill Copper either he was Armed, and the Armed Police in the UK have more in common with SWAT teams in the US than anything else.

If there is no Ed, then I don't watch. Don't know if it's me or what, it just seems that Velocity has gone downhill lately. Maybe because it's the summer time and nothing is really interesting right now.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
If there is no Ed, then I don't watch. Don't know if it's me or what, it just seems that Velocity has gone downhill lately. Maybe because it's the summer time and nothing is really interesting right now.

Same here as well. Couldn't even watch the clips above. Can't think of any other shows that appeal to me on that channel either. I may watch the new show if I channel surf and can't find anything else. The only reason I've some old shows a few times is to learn from what Edd is doing.

Same for me.

The format they had was the reason why I put up with Mike. I really liked the in-depth of the garage work and how the UK handled repairs on cars and what they choose to fix and replace. I'll check it out but I enjoyed watching Edd China. I hate the way velocity has handled the car shows here, they seem like infomercials for brands.

I like how Edd would not only do the mechanical stuff but paint, bodywork, polishing, convertible tops, interior work like swapping cloth for leather, etc. Plus quality repairs done on a budget. And helpful tips along the way.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyO

Same for me.

This new guy may well be suited for this program. I am certainly willing to give a chance.

Originally Posted By: tig1

This new guy may well be suited for this program. I am certainly willing to give a chance.

The second clip gives me some hope. While I know how a turbo works, it was good to see one being torn down.

I do like that he used the colored china markers (or whatever) to draw the diagram, as crude as it may be.

As an American, it will be interesting to listen to Ant describe things. Edd had a way with words while he was doing the work. Such as describing something fixed as tiggedy (or tickety) boo.

Sometimes, I think I was born on the wrong continent during the wrong generation. Depending on whose text you read, I'm either the last of the baby boomers or the first of Gen-X.

And sometimes I feel exactly that way
smile.gif

Ed's diplomatic statement is best summarized by "They are more interested in style than substance and are looking for 'the easy money'"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back