2003 Malibu coolant tank system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coolant tank is pressurized as part of the coolant system with a pressure cap as normal.

While running, a portion of the coolant(and air along with it) circulates through the reservoir and is more effective at self-bleeding. I tend to prefer those systems, they're easier to bleed and generally require no special bleeding tools or funnels.

Last edited:
Just curious - was this a design driven in part by Dexcool or something else?

I've had a bunch of GM cars that use Dexcool - and noticed the later models seemed to have pressurized tanks, and less sludge.

Dexcool does not like to be exposed to air. The old style system where the over flow bottle is vented to atmosphere would expose the coolant to atmosphere on a regular basis. The new pressurized over flow tank eliminates this problem.

Ford has been doing this too for a long time, my 99 Crown Vic had that kind of system - but with regular green coolant, they hadn't switched to extended life yet. Anyway, I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of which one is "better"

system uses dexcool, just replaced the radiator found the one small tube off the top of the tank was plugged solid at the radiator and the tank had a crack at top mounting tab. so with the line block and the crack just trying to rigged this out. water temp seemed to run ok 110*

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Just curious - was this a design driven in part by Dexcool or something else?

I've had a bunch of GM cars that use Dexcool - and noticed the later models seemed to have pressurized tanks, and less sludge.

I think it also has to do with the highest point in the cooling system no longer being on the radiator cap. This kind of system was also in the 90s Taurus despite them not using Dexcool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back