What gives ATF its distinctive scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that ATF is little more than a light oil with a light add pack that's usually dyed red.
We also all know that it has a very distinctive scent.
Why?

How about the special friction modifiers? Sulfur is found in gear oils and ATF's....probably not so much in motor oils. That could be the stink factor.

Amines:

1) Oxidation inhibitor

2) Friction modifiers

3) Metal deactivators

Phosphorus;

1) Anti-wear

2) Phosphorilated Boron

Last edited:
Valvoline MaxLife ATF must have a lot of something in it..it really stinks..but a great ATF

I was just inhaling MaxLife Dex/Merc LV today. Full synthetic (base?).

Wolf's Head ("The Finest of the Fine since 1879")-BEAT THAT!-Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid barely smells at all.

I don't recall the Mobil3309 smelling. Kira

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Maybe they should give it a strawberry scent. Everything else in the world has a scent added, why not ?
Foul odors, as we humans and most animals perceive them to be foul, are a crucial safety feature now of many poisonous chemicals, especially automotive lubricants.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Maybe they should give it a strawberry scent. Everything else in the world has a scent added, why not ?
Foul odors, as we humans and most animals perceive them to be foul, are a crucial safety feature now of many poisonous chemicals, especially automotive lubricants.

We had a customer many years ago chug some engine oil. It was scented like bubblegum I believe and he said "It smelled so good I just couldn't resist".
33.gif

Directed to poison control......

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
Valvoline MaxLife ATF must have a lot of something in it..it really stinks..but a great ATF

Noticed this too - it really smells bad.....

ACDelco 75W90 is "grape" scented.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

No doubt an excellent differential lube but it is dyed and scented for product differentiation for warranty purposes.

Rarely do GM dealers use this lube for fluid replacement after warranty because of cost. In fact, they use a Valvoline product after warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

+1 It is a pleasure using that stuff versus other gear oils. Gear oils have to be one of the worst smelling fluids out there.

I noticed Honda ATF has a nice slightly bitter smell to it, then I tried some Dex/Merc stuff for another car, Castrol multi-import ATF smelled awful like fish. Then I tried Valvoline and that smelled like [censored]. Spilled some Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil and it smelled like rotten eggs due to sulfur.

Quote:
I just looked it up, I'm amazed. They actually used it as a bulletpoint for the item description:
Quote:
Improved formula includes a grape scent for a more pleasant application experience
That's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back