2014 Lincoln Navigator oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2014 Lincoln Navigator with 5.4l V8. Suburban driving at ~8k a year with many trips under 5 miles but at least one longer trip a week. Texas South Plains. Warranty is up so I can move away from the Ford required 6 month OCI and on to yearly changes.

Thinking Motorcraft filter? Oil?

cadfaeltex
This is a pretty easy 1. I run this same 5.4L engine in my 2011 Expedition. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft Fl-820s filter. I ran it for yrs before I switched to Amsoil and a Bypass Filter @ 100k miles(after extended warranty expired) I also ran Mobil 1 in my 1999 Expedition 5.4L (2 valve) for about 12 yrs. Good Luck to you and Thank You for your Military Service!

Castrol magnatec and a motorcraft filter every 5k would be my choice. But that's really my go to on anyone's car I change oil on.

O'reilley's doesn't seem to show Mobil one. My the annual protection is dear to Mobil. Looked at Castrol Magnatec or Pennzoil Platinum.

Thanks for the thanks. Need to get my avatar changed, now retired.

The Motorcraft FL-820 is certainly the ugly duckling of their filter lineup. Lots of tearing issues, sharp baseplates cutting ADBV's.

Fram Ultra XG-2 or Wix 51372 are a good choice.

I have a 4.6 3V and I run Castrol Edge 5W30 with good results on a UOA. Planning on switching to Mobil 1 5W30 just because I feel like it.

Personally, I would only run 5W30 in a 3V ford. I know the forums say 5W20 and MC filters only or your phasers will explode, which is complete science-fiction.

Fordtechmakuloco recommends all 3V engines to be run with 5W30. Note that countries other than the US and Canada with 3V engines are spec'd for 5W30, so don't believe the forum hype.

The 4.6 and 5.4 3V's are a flawed design and you will eventually have issues with the cam phasers, timing chain tensioner seals blowing out, VVT solenoid failures, seized roller rockers, ticking lash adjusters, oil pump failures and so on. They're all fixable things, but you have to find a shop that is willing to tear into a 3V as they're 'special.'

The bottom end of those engines are very tough however.

Take good care of your engine, use a quality oil and filter, change it regularly and avoid short tripping and you can delay the inevitable.

Also consider checking the actual hot idle oil pressure (not the factory gauge, it's a dummy switch set at 7 PSI) and make sure you're above 20PSI at idle. Also keep an ear out for funky ticking noises and startup rattles.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Don't believe everything posted here.

Can you elaborate? I know you're a fan of MC filters, but the 3V engine is undeniably the turd of the modular V8 lineup.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Fordtechmakuloco recommends all 3V engines to be run with 5W30.

And that's very good advice.

Can you elaborate? I know you're a fan of MC filters, but the 3V engine is undeniably the turd of the modular V8 lineup.

A fan? I have used them for many years with great results in Fords. I did try a different filter 12-14 years ago, and in one month the engine started making a clacking noise on start. I pulled the filter off and went back to the MC FL 400 and no noise. Also, can you use more BITOG appropriate langue? Thank you in advance.

A fan? I have used them for many years with great results in Fords. I did try a different filter 12-14 years ago, and in one month the engine started making a clacking noise on start. I pulled the filter off and went back to the MC FL 400 and no noise. Also, can you use more BITOG appropriate langue? Thank you in advance.

Turd is inappropriate language on the internet?

I used the FL-820s on my dad's Ford with the 6.2.. It sounded horrible at nearly every startup. As much as I tried to like it, I just couldn't. Such a shame too. Ford filter and a great price to boot. This wasn't an isolated incident either since I tried them many times. WIX and Mobil 1 filters seemed to work great.

The FL-400s Tig is mentioning is a great filter. I have no complaints about that filter whatsoever and have used it on my Jeep many of times. I'd use it again worry free if needed.

In my experience, the 400s and the 820s are not equals.

*Oil wise, I'd run any top tiered synthetic worry free.

Last edited:

Only if you are Canadian
smirk.gif

Talk like you would as if you were a guest in someone's house and talking in their living room. The word isn't censored or spelled to bypass the filter on here but none the less not the best choice in language. But you won't get a message from the mods to tone it down or a temporary ban.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I've been running my 4.6 3V mustang on 5W30 for 4 or 5 years now and it has a bit less phaser and valvetrain noise vs 5W20. Also when I datalog with Forscan, the phasers advance and retard as intended.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember a guy datalogged a 3v on 5W30 vs 5W20 and the phaser advance and retard was much smoother and predictable with 5W30 than with 5W20. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I used the FL-820s on my dad's Ford with the 6.2.. It sounded horrible at nearly every startup. As much as I tried to like it, I just couldn't. Such a shame too. Ford filter and a great price to boot. This wasn't an isolated incident either since I tried them many times. WIX and Mobil 1 filters seemed to work great.

The FL-400s Tig is mentioning is a great filter. I have no complaints about that filter whatsoever and have used it on my Jeep many of times. I'd use it again worry free if needed.

The FL-910 is a pretty decent filter with good value for the money from what I've seen. Not impressed at all with the 820. If you insist on using a motorcraft, the FL-500 seems to be quite a bit better and should fit the same.

It's funny that you mention the 6.2 startup rattle - this spring we had a 2017 F-350 6.2 as a loaner and it had nasty startup rattle, the truck didn't even have 1000 miles on it! Popped the hood and there's a FoMoCo filter (not MC) on it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I've been running my 4.6 3V mustang on 5W30 for 4 or 5 years now and it has a bit less phaser and valvetrain noise vs 5W20. Also when I datalog with Forscan, the phasers advance and retard as intended.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember a guy datalogged a 3v on 5W30 vs 5W20 and the phaser advance and retard was much smoother and predictable with 5W30 than with 5W20. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

I have often wondered how to tell if a cam phaser is working properly or not.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The FL-910 is a pretty decent filter with good value for the money from what I've seen. Not impressed at all with the 820. If you insist on using a motorcraft, the FL-500 seems to be quite a bit better and should fit the same.

It's funny that you mention the 6.2 startup rattle - this spring we had a 2017 F-350 6.2 as a loaner and it had nasty startup rattle, the truck didn't even have 1000 miles on it! Popped the hood and there's a FoMoCo filter (not MC) on it.

The 910 is literally the same filter as the 400.. just shorter. I would use it as well if space was an issue. (A mower for example.)

Funny story about the startup rattle. Truthfully, I don't remember what she sounded like when new with the FoMoCo. Very very smooth and beautiful sounding engine otherwise. Lots of power too.

I'm ok with the wix. Just remember when we first got the Navigator it seemed on here that the MC filter was the favorite for this engine.

So if I did go 5w30, any recommendations? Didn't notice Castrol Magnatec in that weight on the o'reilley website.

Magnatec is good stuff, but with an 8k/ yearly interval, I'd step it up to a full synthetic.

Their 0w20 and (I believe) 5w20 are full syns. That's it. The rest are blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back