Chainsaw for Home yard tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I need to buy a chainsaw for my home yard tasks. Can anyone guide me should I go for Gas or battery powered chainsaw or electric one? Also suggest me which brand to follow?

Get a real chainsaw electric sucks. I should suggest the Stihl MS 271 FARM BOSS® its not to big but its big enough to do some serious work with.

Last edited:
If the cutting u need to do is relatively small trees up to 6 inch's or so, and they are within reach of a good electric cord, get an electric saw. No issues with oil/gas mix, no carbs to gum up in winter, etc. For $50 what do you have to loose? https://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch-electric-chain-saw-67255.html
I've used one with good results on trees even larger than 6" when I lived in a development. Now I live in a rural area with larger trees to contend with on occasion and use an inexpensive Poulan from Walmart; it works just fine. if you have a awful lot to do, and will be needing it for long term, then go for the higher quality Stihl.

Last edited:
Battery powered Stihl or Husqvarna. 2 batteries. Very few reasons a casual user homeowner needs gas anymore.

I've had an electric McCollough for probably 25 years and it's worked great for yard stuff. Took out an ash tree with it, probably about a foot in diameter.

I have used an electric craftsman 14" for over 20 years. Cut down several trees with it, including a 26" Oak.
Used it for multiple branch and bush trimmings over the years.
Finally died on me last week as I was trimming branches before Hurricane Harvey.

Not sure what I am going to get to replace it. The electric is fine for my needs, but a battery powered one would be nice as well.

I have this Makita electric chainsaw:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/UC4051A

I was skeptical, but wanted an electric saw because I didn't want to mix gas and also wanted to avoid the trouble of small carburetors. I've spent way too many hours running chainsaws since I was young. This Makita saw can keep up with many gas saws I've run over the years. I highly recommend it.

I'm in the same boat, except an electric wouldn't work for me. I'm convinced from lots of research and testimonials that a Stihl MS-170 or MS-180 are the best value for the money in a gas saw. I think I'll be buying one soon. I've had a great experience with every Stihl I've ever ran. I have a homeowner grade trimmer (FS-55R) that I've used semi-professionally for 7 years with absolutely no issues and more power than any big-box trimmer you can buy. I think I'm going to stick with Stihl for my small OPE needs. It also helps that I have a great dealer in town. The bigger saws are nice, but if you're considering an electric, I don't think you'd need to spend $300+ on a Farm Boss or equivalent.

That being said, if I just needed it for some light-duty work around the house, I'd be tempted to try that Harbor Freight electric. Use it till it dies, and throw it away.

16" bar. 35-40cc. Husqvarna or Stihl. Buy a good one and never get another.

I have a Husqvarna 435. A perfect occasional use size saw. When I lived on six acres with trees and was cutting a lot more, including firewood, and taking down trees, I had a Husqvarna 55 rancher with an 18" bar. That's a lot more $$, and more saw than I need as a homeowner who now only cuts downed limbs, or prunes big trees.

Use tru-fuel. I go through a quart of tru-fuel in the saw every year or so. It sits unused for months at a time, but still starts. No carburetor issues. No problems with the saw. I've had it for ten years. I changed the plug once, about five years ago, but it really wasn't needed.

Get a couple spare chains, so any work can proceed even if you damage or dull a chain. Keep bar oil on hand.

Get proper safety gear. Kevlar chaps. Face shield. steel toed boots. You may never need them...I've yet to hit the chaps, boots, or helmet in 20+ years...but like safety glasses on the shooting range, I can't imagine operating without them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
I have this Makita electric chainsaw:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/UC4051A

I was skeptical, but wanted an electric saw because I didn't want to mix gas and also wanted to avoid the trouble of small carburetors. I've spent way too many hours running chainsaws since I was young. This Makita saw can keep up with many gas saws I've run over the years. I highly recommend it.

Nice! $217 with prime at Amazon.

If you must have gas stay away from the "Farm" or "Rancher" models from Stihl or Husqvarna, as they tend to be overweight and under powered.

I liked my Husqvarna Rancher a lot, until I picked up a 550XP. Sold the Rancher.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
If the cutting u need to do is relatively small trees up to 6 inch's or so, and they are within reach of a good electric cord, get an electric saw. No issues with oil/gas mix, no carbs to gum up in winter, etc. For $50 what do you have to loose? https://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch-electric-chain-saw-67255.html
I've used one with good results on trees even larger than 6" when I lived in a development. Now I live in a rural area with larger trees to contend with on occasion and use an inexpensive Poulan from Walmart; it works just fine. if you have a awful lot to do, and will be needing it for long term, then go for the higher quality Stihl.

Agreed. Look for the coupon for $40 and if it doesn't work out, you didn't lose a lot. It works for me for downed limbs just fine.

Everything Astro14 said, add the Husqy 440 to the list, same frame, higher compression engine (2.4HP instead of 2.2HP), silly oversized bar, I would put a 16" on it.

If you rely on your local OPE shop to sharpen chains, you need at least 3 chains, more is better. If you sharpen them yourself, 2 is enough. Get a Stihl yellow or a Woodland Pro chain. Sharpening is really easy, once you get the hang of it.

I really liked my 435 when I first got it. After it was broken-in and I hand-sharpened my chain for the first time... I LOVED it.

If you go electric, keep in mind you've only got 1HP to work with, and that only if you use a 15A extension cord. If you use a typical 100' 7A cord made for hedge trimmers, you can take 40% off that HP rating.

If it's just occasional pruning tasks you are looking at, I would suggest a battery or electric pole saw. I have both a Stihl battery chainsaw and pole saw. The pole saw puts you further away from the danger point, and allows you to trim overhead and to cut stuff on the ground without stooping. Also good for when you might be clearing brush in a snake occupied area. The battery on my Stihl usually lasts longer than I do. If you are cutting a lot of firewood though, a regular gas chainsaw would be the way to go.

Also don't discount a good handsaw if you've only got a few trees. A 13" Silky Zubat can cut up to 4" stuff real quick(and up to maybe 10" if you have too), so if your not cutting stuff to firewood length, you can cut up a sizeable tree into chunks you can carry before you dress up to run a chainsaw safely. I take mine on the tractor or atv to maintain trails and you can stand on the atv racks or tractor tire to reach for a branch without risking your life. Its a pull saw so you can put some power into it and zing off branches quite fast, and also prune with it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I see we don't have a lot of firewood cutters here.

I'm guessing many here don't heat their house with wood or have a steamship.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Also don't discount a good handsaw if you've only got a few trees. A 13" Silky Zubat can cut up to 4" stuff real quick(and up to maybe 10" if you have too), so if your not cutting stuff to firewood length, you can cut up a sizeable tree into chunks you can carry before you dress up to run a chainsaw safely. I take mine on the tractor or atv to maintain trails and you can stand on the atv racks or tractor tire to reach for a branch without risking your life. Its a pull saw so you can put some power into it and zing off branches quite fast, and also prune with it.

Very Cool.

I might have to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back