Identifying Gm 14 bolt differential limited slip??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1983 p30 has a dually 14 bolt rear end.

Is there any way to tell if its limited slip besides removing the cover.?

Sorry guys.

Just realized there's a sub fourm for differentials....

If it does it will have a gov-loc. The usual ways to test it wont work as it works differently. Put 1 wheel in the dirt and the other on the street and hammer down. If the one on the street locks in it has a Gov-loc. If it does a 1 wheel peel in the dirt it don't.

If you cant find the g80 code im not sure without popping off the diff cover.

I have a feeling the axle has never been serviced. So i think I'll just pop the cover off.

I just want to know if the rest end floats or if it has the govt locker.

Mainly cause we want to take it to the local shore lines with the 5k boat.

It would be nice to know if we got into a pinch, we would be saved by the rear end.

I highly doubt a P series chassis would have a Eaton Governor Locker or any other traction devise. The 10.5" 14 Bolt IS one of the easiest differentials to install a posi/locker carrier in...FYI.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I highly doubt a P series chassis would have a Eaton Governor Locker or any other traction devise. The 10.5" 14 Bolt IS one of the easiest differentials to install a posi/locker carrier in...FYI.

I completely agree that it's unlikely that your P30 has a Gov-Lock but if you post a picture I can easily tell you if it does or not. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a reference picture for you.

Way to ruin my fun guys....

I'm just a poor kid who wants a posi traction rv for the family!

Joking.... I just wanna know.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Put it up on jack stands and spin the tires.

Is this a van or RV?

Limited slip

Jack it up with both wheels off the ground. Spin a wheel. If it is somewhat difficult to spin and the opposite wheel spins in the same direction, you have a lim slip diff. If it spins easily and the opposite wheel spins in the other direction, it is standard issue. No need to take off rear cover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Put it up on jack stands and spin the tires.

Is this a van or RV?

Limited slip

Jack it up with both wheels off the ground. Spin a wheel. If it is somewhat difficult to spin and the opposite wheel spins in the same direction, you have a lim slip diff. If it spins easily and the opposite wheel spins in the other direction, it is standard issue. No need to take off rear cover.

The nature of how the Gov-Lock works pretty much prevents you from checking it this way. A good majority of the ones I've worked on (that functioned just fine in use) felt like an open differential up on jack stands. The Gov-Lock requires enough differential wheel speed to engage the clutches to send power to the other side.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Removed the cover.

I have the peg leg.

My dreams were s

Its not all bad. If i can recall if you have an open carrier 14 bolt a detroit locker drops right in and is stronger than the gov loc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back