CAT pressure washer pump pics as promised :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the oil level was like pretty much to the top of the sight glass, so I drained out enough to get it roughly to the middle. Does this look normal? Looks kind of cloudy to me. should look like honey, not whatever this is imo. Maybe I'm wrong though. I haven't even started it up yet.

Unless it's assembly lube or something, but the display model at the store looked like new honey colored oil when I looked at it, so something isn't right with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Mine has a blueish colored lube, but its not cloudy...

Would you call what's in the pic cloudy?

Does the manual say to check level off or running? We have a $$ air compressor at work that was run dangerously low on fluid because it was being checked not running instead of under load.

I'm not concerned about the level. My concern is that the oil looks like it has water in it.

The CAT pump people said to exchange the pressure washer for a new one if the oil was milky looking.

I figured someone on hear would know what milky oil looks like. So that's why I'm asking if I should bring this thing back.

If it doesn't look like the one in the store then I would take it back. The picture doesn't show well enough to tell if its milky or not. Is blue the normal color?

It's hard to tell from the site glass if there is only a small amount of water in the oil. Mine looked OK, and when I changed it I instantly knew water was mixing with the oil. The way I see it you have two choices, return it and let them check it out, or drain the oil. You'll know real quick if there is water in it. You can drain it into a clean container and reuse the oil if you're concerned about wasting good oil or money.

We have an older (12 years?) 13 horse pressure washer with a Cat pump. (The oil also looks honey-ish) It gives many many "approved" lubes including their own as well as food grade. The bottom of the list mentions ND30. Drain it if you're concerned.

FWIW, I have a retired friend who works at a self service car wash throughout the week. The car wash also used huge Cat pumps for the various soap and polish settings. They use nothing but ND30 as well..

If the Cat people are saying you can exchange, perhaps you may want to. I would think water in the oil would be quite visible though.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
UOA. Might be the first to have a uoa done on a cat pump.
+1 and be only way to know I'd just drain and refill if worried and keep on the dot not top of the dot to be honest looks fine to me

IIRC the cat pump oil I used when I replaced mine was light blue.

Also where are the pics?

unless you only promised a bad pic of the oil sight glass.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
UOA. Might be the first to have a uoa done on a cat pump.
+1 and be only way to know I'd just drain and refill if worried and keep on the dot not top of the dot to be honest looks fine to me

As much as I admire your suggestion, no. If he can get a new unit, as he should per the pump's manufacturer, he should do so. If he bought the unit used or has owned it for several years, sure.. I agree with you 100%. Unless he can get the pressure washer company to compensate him for the cost, (doubtful.) I wouldn't do a thing aside from an oil change as previously mentioned.

Dumping $25+ into something that is potentially faulty is a bad idea IMO.

Originally Posted By: Rand
IIRC the cat pump oil I used when I replaced mine was light blue.

Also where are the pics?

unless you only promised a bad pic of the oil sight glass.

That's all I promised. The pic isn't that bad. Click on it so you get a better view.

I have 30 days to return it. What worries me is if I say the pump is bad I'm afraid they will want me to have it repaired. Or should they let me swap it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back