Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic HDEO 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this is a pretty rare oil, does anyone use it? I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of it (for a pretty reasonable price and got a free Snickers too! Ha!) I'm going to do a virgin oil sample and then use it in my 2002 Saab 9-3 (that has some light sludging due to previous owners.) My first oil change though will be with Redline 5w30 and a Seafoam treatment to hopefully dissolve the sludge.

This seems like a rare find.
Not a whole lot of information on that huge label.
Have you consulted the PDS as recommended on the label in place of any useful information?
What specs/certs are claimed for this oil?

The PDS won't open...does it meet SL or SM?...I think SL was the spec when your Saab was built.

From the Product Data Sheet:
"Delo® 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30 is a mixed fleet motor oil recommended for naturally aspirated and turbocharged four-stroke diesel engines and fourstroke gasoline engines in which the API CG-4, CF-4 and CF service categories and SAE 0W-30 viscosity grade are recommended."

I used Delo 400LE 5w40 on a previous Saab I had. I'm curious to compare the virgin sample report of the Delo 400LE synthetic 5w-40 to the Delo 400 Synthetic 0w-30. Both are acceptable weight grades granted the other specs might not meet. Tons of people run Rotella as well (I had before I used the Delo.) I bought this current Saab for $700 to use as a commuter (already has 215,000mi on it), so figured I'd experiment. Lol

"Product available through April 2017."
I guess this is discontinued in favor of Delo 400 SP, which is likely why the old PDS PDF is gone.

It's not gas rated then? Most likely okay for your Saab or anything ~API SL. I'd use it worry free.. I am just surprised it's not gas rated since their other HEDO's (I believe) still are.

What engine does your Saab 9_3 have anyways? I've always liked these in the non convertible form. Very sharp.

Long time Saab guy here. Your 2002 requires synthetic, not for lubrication reasons, but because of where they put the catalytic converter - right next to the oil pan near the pump pick-up ... They Coke the pump pick-up with baked oil and can starve the engine of oilwhen nothing looks wrong.

Don't even bother with the Redline/Seafom. Just drop the pan and look at the oil pump intake. Clear it manually with wire brush and clean the pan of oil baked oil. Re-install with new gasket and you are good to go. These are good durable motors if you clean the oil intake every so often. Many have gone over 300,000 miles w/o hick-up.

Join a Saab forum to learn the in's and out's ...

The Delo is fine oil for the Saab. I run Delo or Rotella T6 in mine and have for the last 50,000 miles or so (after I bought it). Use Fram 3600 sized filter for a tad more capacity.

See if it's had the PCV system update (?), or you will have oil consumption ...

Ye I know all too well. This is my 3rd Saab: Had a 1995 900SE, a 1998 900S and now the 2002 9-3SE. (I love these hatchbacks!)

Pulling the valve cover and dropping the oil pan was one of the first things I did. Valve cover needed a new gasket anyways and saw some light sludge buildup around the upper timing chain area. It didn't have the PCV update got the parts to change that out. Discovered giving it its first oil change that a previous mechanic totally f'd the drain plug and replaced it with a [censored] butterfly plug that leaked. Last service the previous owner had the shop hear motor noise and that it was 3 quarts low.... I ordered a Spectra oil pan (received the wrong one) and now waiting to a NOS Saab pan I ordered on eBay.

I'm a longtime Saab forums member. Always ran Rotalla or Delo in my old cars with Motorcraft FL1A or Wix/Napa Gold equivalents.

I do at least one initial oil change with Redline on every new used vehicle I buy. Always given me good results and then stick with it or go to Rotella or Delo. Along with being my traditional first change with Redline, running the Seafoam to help with ridding of the light sludge buildup that I can't manually clean in the motor. Oil pickup screen has already been cleaned with brake cleaner and wire and done a manual throttle body cleaning.

From the pictures you can see the light coating of black sludge, partial clogging of the screen and the pile of sludge that was below the screen in the pan.

Wow, good stuff here. Even though I don't own a Saab, it's interesting to see how the location of the catalytic converter can cause sludging of the oil in the pan. Has anybody tried putting a heat shield between the converter and pan? Or maybe ducting cold air to keep the pan cool?

Well then, you know the drill. Good luck and happy Saab'ing
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back