Ridiculous ABC News aviation item

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistake of watching ABC News last night. Throughout the broadcast they repeatedly put up a graphic of a Delta flight "barely escaping Hurricane Irma" (DAL flight back from Puerto Rico). Graphic shows a flight tracker image of aircraft w/o a scale of distance but appearing around 60-80+ miles from eye. I would guess from looking at other maps that surface wind that far out was around 40 kt., not even jet stream stuff at altitude I'm guessing. And this qualifies as not only national news but worthy of pimping 4-5 times before showing it. The adults have all left the building. It's embarrassing.

Yeah, what is it with ABC News? I bet at least half their viewership, or even their production team haven't read any NOTAMs ever, in their whole lives.

I landed with Korean Airlines at Incheon into 40mph+ sand storm.

I was kinda cool so I watched the flight data to see our 777 landing at 120 mph instead of normal 160 ish.

Once I flew to Moscow from IAH just before a winter storm, and we rode the jet stream up over Canada, and our 777 was doing approx 800 mph ground speed (jet stream 250mph - Boeing 777 550 mph).

Last edited:
Room mate (back in the day) was a P3 Pilot for NOAA doing Hurricane runs into the Eye. Had some stories to tell
laugh.gif

Where do they get this stuff from? Some simpleton geek creates a misleading graphic and the network runs it as news?
When can we expect the networks to provide honest coverage of the airlines?
We should know by now that we can't, just as we can't rely upon them to provide honest coverage of anything else.
I suppose that the plane full of passengers should have just sat on a ramp and awaited the worst rather than departing in conditions that were well within the operating envelope of the aircraft.
Silly stuff that you couldn't make up.

They also reported that Irma was so big and powerful it registered on the Richter Scale. What they evidently did not know is that all the larger hurricanes register as the develop and travel. They made it sound as if this was really special inferring that Florida might get wiped off the map.

Florida will get wiped off the map right around the time half of California disappears into the Pacific.
The hype detracts greatly from the serious news coverage that we'd all like to see.
Network news has deteriorated to the level of infotainment punctuated with ads for serious drugs.
This is true for every network and is not unique to ABC.

That and every story being teased 5 times are why I don't watch the news anymore...if something really important happens, I'll find out.

Originally Posted By: 40w8
Once I flew to Moscow from IAH just before a winter storm, and we rode the jet stream up over Canada, and our 777 was doing approx 800 mph ground speed (jet stream 250mph - Boeing 777 550 mph).

Did you ask for your fuel surcharge back?
laugh.gif

The Washington Post had a fairly well-written article about the flight. The flight was well planned and was within the 'normal' weather restrictions for operations. I'm sure the trip was interesting for the crew and passengers but it was hardly newsworthy.

Originally Posted By: Shooterjgs
That's why I only watch FOX news...

Faux News
lol.gif

Just as important to note that most mainstream media is also omitting certain things from coverage.

Big corruption trial for a certain senator got almost zero coverage. There are many other examples.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Do tell what accurate news you recommend

Exactly. What are we supposed to watch? (Let me try to proceed without running too far afoul of RSP.) The big network in Atlanta got caught giving the debate questions to their preferred candidate ahead of time. Comcast's cable news channel is similarly aligned, but they are upfront about it. WaPo was purchased by the founder of Amazon, who intended all along to flip its editorial bias 180°. The Times was always considered "the paper of record" but they've gone off the deep end. Speaking of newspapers, it's now common practice to run slightly different articles in different zip codes based on the average political slant of the locals. So I'm confused, too... what are we supposed to watch?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Exactly. What are we supposed to watch? (Let me try to proceed without running too far afoul of RSP.) The big network in Atlanta got caught giving the debate questions to their preferred candidate ahead of time. Comcast's cable news channel is similarly aligned, but they are upfront about it. WaPo was purchased by the founder of Amazon, who intended all along to flip its editorial bias 180°. The Times was always considered "the paper of record" but they've gone off the deep end. Speaking of newspapers, it's now common practice to run slightly different articles in different zip codes based on the average political slant of the locals. So I'm confused, too... what are we supposed to watch?

Good question most of the National News is all B.S.

Broadcast news created and nutures a concept called "The Catastrophe Culture", where everything that's anything is sensationalized, and weather is one of their favorites. All the local stations here have "storm teams" and etc and every Spring during thunderstorm and tornado season they go all out competing with each other to try to be the first to break that a cumulonimbus cloud formation has been spotted, quick everyone Duck and Cover, etc etc.

Of course, I'm exaggerating and I know we need solid coverage of developing bad weather and stuff but seems they just feed on it and maybe blow things out of proportion to keep or increase viewership, which of course all comes back to selling advertising as the top rated "most watched news channel" blah blah blah.

Don Henley figured it out back in 1982:

EAA... other than that I smack my head in disbelief when viewing the main stream media's coverage of aviation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back