R4 compressor - squeal when engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is for my 1981 240D, running R-12. The compressor seized a few years ago, but it broke the belt, and didn't put junk in the system, fortunately. Put a new one on there, and it works great - holds charge, cools well, etc. I don't drive the car a ton though...

The other day I was driving it and was hearing some sort of a rubbing sound, but there was no squeal. That sound can be heard here, primarily in the second half of the video:

Today I was driving it, and noticed that when the compressor was engaged, I got a bit of a squealing noise. Not entirely sure if it was belt squeal, or more like a pump squeal, like cars with bum PS pumps sometimes make when starting cold. ALL belts are OE Contitech belts (either the ones with yellow printing or the ones with green printing and the MB star), and all look great.

If I disengage the compressor, there is no belt squeal or other noises.

Is this as simple as a sign of a bad belt? It is a number of years old, even if the car isn't driven much... Or is it a sign of a more significant issue forthcoming on the compressor or clutch?

Thanks!

Check the clutch clearance? Could be some slippage there. Otherwise, try another belt. Unfortunately, my laptop speakers do your video no favors.

Side note: I just worked on a '77 240D the other day... How scary slow is that thing with working A/C?? I mean seriously, it takes an entire on ramp with the pedal on the pavement to merge at 55!

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Check the clutch clearance? Could be some slippage there. Otherwise, try another belt. Unfortunately, my laptop speakers do your video no favors.

Side note: I just worked on a '77 240D the other day... How scary slow is that thing with working A/C?? I mean seriously, it takes an entire on ramp with the pedal on the pavement to merge at 55!

They're not fast, but Ive taken plenty of highway trips in it.

Think about it, how fast is a tractor trailer? They merge onto the highways, right?

You may need to think about it a bit more, but imbeciles that "must" have a V6 to merge safely are at least as dangerous due to their mash the go pedal philosophy.

If I could have, Id have gotten an MT version. But with old pristine cars, its all about right place at the right time, and then attachment to the car...

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Harrison R4?

Correct. Was OE fit on these cars.Works fine with R-12, ok with 134a.

I think you need a new engine JHZR2, that car sounds like a diesel!
grin2.gif

How about belt tension? Pulleys lining up well?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are you familiar woth rollguy on the benz forums that sells a sanden compressor and brackets for those?

Yes, believe they are for 617/5 cyl engines....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are you familiar woth rollguy on the benz forums that sells a sanden compressor and brackets for those?

Yes, believe they are for 617/5 cyl engines....
he is a friend of mine. He even went to my wedding where I stood on a dynamite box. I have helped him with hoses, welds,etc for his kits.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Harrison R4?

Correct. Was OE fit on these cars.Works fine with R-12, ok with 134a.

The Harrison R4 is a terrible design, Mounting them them with flimsy steel brackets is almost a guaranteed noise maker. GM started using Aluminum Brackets for R4's in 1993 & three brace struts to quiet them down.

The belt squealing could be many things, Incorrect belt tension, Glazed Belt, Oil Slugging from to much refrigerant oil, Wrong size belt groove for the series belts your car takes, Some diesel engines use the wider "industrial" V-Belts.

With only 4 pistons, This compressor is harder to "start" than a 6 or 7 piston compressor, So you have that working against you!

As Chris142 alluded to......A Sanden SD-7 swap is ideal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back