F-350 Trailer Lights Stopped Working - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just had an issue pop up in the truck. Need to tow with it RIGHT NOW and can't get the trailer lights working. I don't want to , but I am close to just tapping into the tail lights to get it working ASAP.

It *did* work the last time I used it. It does not work now.

I have verified that the ground on both the 7 pin and the 4 pin are good. I am not getting power to either or the connector up in the frame. Also checked fuse 13 under the steering column and that is good.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

This is a 2001 F350 5.4 XL

Do the brake lights work? Turn signals? Do you get any power on the other pins?

1wiring.jpg

Maybe something got hungry and chewed or a ground became corroded...

How many trailer lights do you have, and which ones aren't working? Are you saying you aren't getting any power at all to any of your truck mounted pins (if so, truck issue and not trailer . . .)?

What type trailer and how old is wiring? Does it get dipped in saltwater?

Most will say most problems are ground connections, but I've had many others.

Last edited:
Check fuse #42 in the power distribution box under the hood, 30 amp cartridge fuse. My truck is an 09 F350, but the 01 might be the same fuse for the running lights. Brake and turn signals work, but not the running lights then it most likely that fuse. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I didn't even know there was another set of fuses under the hood! Looks like 1,3,4 were blown out. Put those back in and hooked the trailer up and they blew right back out. But my camper trailer lights work and my magnetic lights work after replacing the fuses again. So looks like a wiring issue on the trailer!

I wasn't getting power to any of the lights on the connectors on the bumper or up on the frame. the ground did test good with a test light

Found the issue on the trailer. All 3 wires were shorted to the ground on the left fender. That would explain why I blew out the fuses on my truck and my friend's Suburban keeps blowing the taillight fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back