What do you do with your used oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always take my oil to AutoZone to be recycled. However I pitch my filters in the trash.
What do you do with those nasty oil filled filters?

Some folks here at BITOG mail them to me and I cut them and post them here

At work we have a filter dumpster then OFR (oil filter recyclers) picks them up

Last edited by a moderator:
Bin, as there's no recycling for them here.

Fortunately the new place has a creek out the front, so I can throw them there...

j/k

In Michigan, oil change retailers have to take the filters, too. I take mine to the local Wal-Mart, along with my used oil. They accept them without complaint. I think they get handed off to their oil recyclers, but I haven't bothered asking or watching to see what they do with them after they walk into the building with them.

Last edited:
I let them drain a while and toss them in our county recycling container. I have cut two filters open, I reassembled those as best as possible, taped them together and put in the recycle container. Oil filters are made of metal, rubber and paper so they should recycle just fine.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I always take my oil to AutoZone to be recycled. However I pitch my filters in the trash.
What do you do with those nasty oil filled filters?
Take them to AutoZone with the oil. After I cut mine open to check them, I take the filter and the oil to AutoZone or Walmart. You should not throw them in the trash.

Recycle program in our county. Often times in the winter it will get tossed into the wood stove for a bit of quick heat to get the fire going.

We have a local household hazardous waste that takes electronics and auto stuff, so I store the filters in my garage along with oil until my semi/annual trip to hhw.

I throw mine in the trash. When I've check in the past, there are no options in my area to recycle used oil filters.

I wish there were. I would much rather see filters recycled. Some time ago I ran across this video about a family operated business that recycles oil filters. They reclaim the oil and the steel. Quite cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NplprEGyFKw

I drain them and cut them open for personal gratification and BITOG.

The steel goes in the recycling and the media goes in the trash.

I've not looked into recycling the entire thing.. I'll check when I dump some stashed coolant.

Trash, either whole or cut up.

Oil goes to Autozone. Only place that doesn't make you fill anything out. Sometimes they dump it for me which is nice.

Used motor oils or undrained filters are a haz waste around here. My town takes them both in the recycling program. The filters get tossed into the metal bin....however they request they be fully drained. The only way to properly do that is to drill out the dome and drain them from both sides in the summer sun for several days...or just cut them in half. Works for me.

Drain them well, then take them to Advance Auto.

Cut them, drain the oil, whole works goes to the scrapyard, media & all. I always see complete scrap engines there, figure my drained media has less oil in it than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back