Oil for '16 Fusion 1.5EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have any 5w-20 floating around, so I just snagged a jug of Castrol Magnatec for $15 on Amazon. Is this a good choice of oil for this engine? Currently this vehicle is running Chevron Supreme (LOL, thanks quick-lube place, for putting conventional in a turbo car, even though I know that oil is technically a syn blend). Is Magnatec a good choice, and will it perform OK in this engine? Do I have to worry about LSPI? Plan to do 5k mile OCIs. Any other good oils for this application that I can get for cheap? I'd prefer to avoid Mobil1 or Pennzoil, I don't like those.

Last edited:
Mganatec is a great oil, and even the Chevron Supreme will do 5k with no problems
smile.gif

Does your Fusion have an IOLM?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Mganatec is a great oil, and even the Chevron Supreme will do 5k with no problems
smile.gif

Does your Fusion have an IOLM?

Thanks, I don't know if it has an OLM, it's my boyfriends car, not mine, but I imagine it does. You think I should just stick with that interval rather than 5K? This car gets driven a lot.

Fusions have an intelligent oil life monitor. But I don't believe owners can tell the oil life remaining % until the oil change need is imminent, which reduces its usefulness a lot. For the BITOG crowd, at least.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Fusions have an intelligent oil life monitor. But I don't believe owners can tell the oil life remaining % until the oil change need is imminent, which reduces its usefulness a lot. For the BITOG crowd, at least.

Does the OLM assume quality full-synthetic? Or bottom-of-the-barrel conventional? Does the OLM account for whether or not the car is run with premium or regular gas?

The OLM is based on using synthetic blend Motorcraft oil. But the Magnatec would be my top choice for that application. It is nice and quiet and has excellent anti wear additives and proprietary agents in there as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The OLM is based on using synthetic blend Motorcraft oil. But the Magnatec would be my top choice for that application. It is nice and quiet and has excellent anti wear additives and proprietary agents in there as well.

I believe 1.5 EcoBoosts require Ford's WSS-M2C-945A spec oil, which is met by virtually any SN 5w-20, including conventional oils. So I'd guess the IOLM is based on conventional as the least-capable spec'd oil.

You are right. But Castrol Magnatec has held up a lot better than any other oil used in a ecoboost motor. Viscosity is strong with Castrol Magnatec unlike other oils including Motorcraft. Those other oils are usually low or even very low in viscosity after 4k miles plus.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Don't have any 5w-20 floating around, so I just snagged a jug of Castrol Magnatec for $15 on Amazon. Is this a good choice of oil for this engine? Currently this vehicle is running Chevron Supreme (LOL, thanks quick-lube place, for putting conventional in a turbo car, even though I know that oil is technically a syn blend). Is Magnatec a good choice, and will it perform OK in this engine? Do I have to worry about LSPI? Plan to do 5k mile OCIs. Any other good oils for this application that I can get for cheap? I'd prefer to avoid Mobil1 or Pennzoil, I don't like those.

The reason I am focusing on M1 in my Ecoboost(s) right now, is that the pertinent weights (That I can find data on) have about half the calcium add. pack. as most other oils. From the studies I have seen, calcium can be a contributor to LSPI. This can be mitigated by other additives, but why have it there in the first place?

The only standard we have now that includes some testing for LSPI resistance is dexos1 Gen 2, which just went "live" this month. I have noticed a couple of Valvoline oils on the shelves of my local Walmarts with Gen 2 logos and more are surely to come. GF6 will also incorporate LSPI testing in a Ford EB engine, but that standard might be a couple years off.
Might sound odd given that we're talking about a Ford here, but it couldn't hurt to use a dexos1 Gen 2 oil in your DIT engine if you're worried about LSPI. I see from the list below that Castrol Magnatec 0W20 and 5W30 have Gen 2 licenses, but not the 5W20 at this point.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The only standard we have now that includes some testing for LSPI resistance is dexos1 Gen 2, which just went "live" this month. I have noticed a couple of Valvoline oils on the shelves of my local Walmarts with Gen 2 logos and more are surely to come. GF6 will also incorporate LSPI testing in a Ford EB engine, but that standard might be a couple years off.
Might sound odd given that we're talking about a Ford here, but it couldn't hurt to use a dexos1 Gen 2 oil in your DIT engine if you're worried about LSPI. I see from the list below that Castrol Magnatec 0W20 and 5W30 have Gen 2 licenses, but not the 5W20 at this point.

As GM doesn't have an engine that specs 5w-20 you won't see an oil of this weight with a Dexos 1 Gen 2 designation. So it's just guesswork on our part as to how close a maker's 5w-20 formulation is to a Dexos 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

As GM doesn't have an engine that specs 5w-20 you won't see an oil of this weight with a Dexos 1 Gen 2 designation. So it's just guesswork on our part as to how close a maker's 5w-20 formulation is to a Dexos 0w-20.

There aren't many, but there are some 5W20s on the Gen 2 list.
Valvoline FS and FS/Maxlife 5W20s are near the bottom.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Thanks, I don't know if it has an OLM, it's my boyfriends car, not mine,

Are you still an "auto parts guy" since that's what it says in your profile under occupation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back