Suggestions for finding dropped extension, Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using an extension for a socket wrench to get the screw on the inside edge of the air filter housing, and I dropped it. I'm having trouble fishing it out, so I'm thinking of putting the Sienna (2005) up on ramps, and going up from below.

Before I start the car, I'm just hoping to get some confirmation here---are there any moving parts or belts right below the air filter, that could get damaged if the extension gets caught somewhere, when I'm driving it up the ramps? It would only be for a few seconds, but I'd rather not cause expensive damage here.

Last edited:
Another alternative is to remove the air filter, which would give my arm a few more inches of reach.

Obviously the engine would not be turning over, but would exposing the inside (downstream) paths to outside air, with no filter, for a few seconds---would that be a major no-no?

Use a extension with a magnet at the end.
It will fish loose metal anything.

There is no belt on that side of the car, I am assuming this is the engine air filter (driver side) like a 2004.
All the belts and rotating pulleys are on the passenger side.

Taking out the air filter and its housing is not that difficult either.
May be even taking out the battery.

I just cleaned the MAF and throttle body on my same model and engine sienna and there is absolutely no reason to need to go from below or have any specialized tools. I literally just have the most basic tools.

There is nothing to worry about below the airbox though, just drive on up.

Yes, it is driver side. And I did see the timing belt on the other side, its just that I didn't want to grind it in anything else.

I'll see about the magnet.

For some reason I thought you meant going from under in order to remove the air box, to get the bolt that is just fine. Good Luck OP and a mag should help too.

Is there a path up (from below)--to get that extension? Or is it all closed off?

No the air filter housing, if I'm going up from below, would be above where the extension is, so if I put it up on ramps, I wouldn't need to tinker with the filter at all.

Well as I was putting the air filter housing in place before I started the engine, the plastic housing must have hit the extension, and it tumbled down to the driveway.

Thanks anyways for the replies.

I think I'll put some Super Glue on my fingers the next time I want to tinker with extensions like that.
smile.gif

The ones I have do lock on--to the socket wrench. Unfortunately, the longer 10 mm extension pushed the wrench up too high, the shorter one had it so low the wrench would run into the air filter housing, so I just held the extension in my fingers and manually took the screw off. It was working fine until I dropped it.
smile.gif

About 5 or 6 years ago I was using a 10mm ratcheting wrench on my Cadillac DTS. It was on the firewall side of the engine. My hand cramped up and I dropped the wrench. Looked and looked and looked and looked some more. Got my hands into every square inch I could fit them into. I never saw that wrench again.

Don

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: paulri
I'll see about the magnet.

They have Ullman at Sears branded as Craftsman.

ullman001%20022.jpg

I have the HF version of this tool.
Also, one attached to a flash light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back