Safe/Compatible Top-Off Coolant for Toyota Pink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L with the bright pink long life coolant. Is there a safe and compatible aftermarket coolant that I can use for topping off, or should I just bite the bullet and purchase a gallon from the dealership? Thanks, fellows.

I've drained and filled with the OEM brand concentrate + distilled water. Not a problem.

I've also topped off with Valvoline Zerex found at auto part stores and Walmart. Not a problem either.

Some folks are OEM dealer fanatics and stick to it and their pricing. No problems with that either.

I'd say use what makes you happy, aftermarket or dealer oem. That said, imo no reason to pay more than the two choices listed by SatinSilver. Normally I'd prefer the PB OEM concentrate, but just for a top off Valvoline Asian Vehicle (same as ZAF) at WM readily available, relatively inexpensive (~$12/gal) and convenient use as premix. But either will do nicely.

Toyota pink super long life or equivalent
I'm getting by nicely with my entire cooling system filled with super tech universal 50/50 . This formula satisfies toyota pink requirements. Super long life non silicated ethylene glycol based. And 50/50 premix less than $8 each gallon.
It states on the bottle compatible with other long life coolants and provides the same extended life properties when added to another long life coolant.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-50-50-Antifreeze-Coolant-Pre-Mix/16928010#read-more

cool truck

why do you need to top off / where are you loosing coolant ?

I would use the OEM 50/50 Pink if it were my truck.

None of the compatible ones list all the ingredients Toyota Pink does. Does it make any difference? I have no clue. I can get the 'compatible' by GC cheaper than any option above, but still pay $21 per gallon to a local dealer. It's not a daily expense in my case. With that being said, I have used Zerex Red equivalent mixed with the SLLC in a pinch from 150k through 180k mile period in a LandCruiser with no ill effects.

Toyota Super Long Life Pink

AKA Pentosin Pentofrost A4

Available at most Autozone/AAP for ~$18 to the premixed gallon

Why pay more for a Toyota label, or the same for something incompatible

I use only Toyota pink in my 4Runner. Lots of desert driving on unimproved roads towing. There may be cheaper substitutes but this is such a small part of the expense of maintaining the vehicle that I'll stick with pink.

The level in the overflow bottle sometimes drops a half inch or so in 10K miles and when it does I top off with distilled water.

Zerex Asian is the Red equivalent, not the SLLC (Pink), still works fine in practical terms - per Toyota TSB Pink and Red are miscible. Pentosin doesn't list ingredients list in their product information sheet. FWIW.

Quote:
...Zerex Asian is the Red equivalent, not the SLLC (Pink)....

Not in terms of being a 'Long Life' PHOAT it isn't. ZAF/WM Valv Asian Vehicle are Long Life, longer service interval AFs and like the new(er) oems come as a premix. Old Toyota Red concentrate is the older shorter service interval PHOAT (~2yrs/30k) as recommended by Toyota. Toyota says red and SLL are compatible but to get the longer service interval a complete exchange/flush must be done to SLL.

SLL premix is newer longer service interval PHOAT. As is ZAF/(WM VAV) which in addition to coming in red(ish)/pink tint now also comes in blue tint to match Honda Type 2, Subaru and Nissan Long Life AF tint. They are all ~5year/50k mile AFs on subsequent maintenance service. The S in SLL just means it's a longer service interval the old Red (LL).

IMO, the key to compatibility is being the same 'type' AF as vehicle spec'd. With the exception of the WM Super Tech mentioned which is a universal DexClone with 2eha, all those mentioned in this thread are Asian PHOAT AFs. No Asian vehicle recommends or uses 2eha an inhibitor in AF.

If having the Toyota name on the SLL is worth the price premium, that's an individual decision. With all the Long Life Asian PHOATs available now, it isn't for me.

Thank you for clarification. Correct me, if necessary, but Sebacic Acid is the ingredient that others lacked last time I checked them against each other. Nothing against Ashland, their component purity is of very decent levels. Pentofrost A4 does have ingredients list on the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back