Rode The New 2018 Softail Fat Bob 114 c.i. Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
smile.gif
This thing is amazing. I was a huge fan of the Dyna and FXR, but was really impressed with the new Milwaukee 8/Softail replacement and now think it's a good move on Harley's part. It's been totally "modernized" and feels like for all practical purposes will keep up or go faster than anything else out there in its class. My 2007 Dyna feels like a bigger bike, though and the 2018 for taller riders definitely needs a different seat. The stock seat for average height riders is very comfortable, neutral is easy to find, controls are well placed and the bike handles really well. In conclusion, I just might save my nickels and dimes for the Street Bob replacement after never thinking I would give up my Dyna, although the biggest reason is I can get ABS brakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
smile.gif
This thing is amazing. I was a huge fan of the Dyna and FXR, but was really impressed with the new Milwaukee 8/Softail replacement and now think it's a good move on Harley's part. It's been totally "modernized" and feels like for all practical purposes will keep up or go faster than anything else out there in its class. My 2007 Dyna feels like a bigger bike, though and for taller riders definitely needs a different seat. The stock seat for average height riders is very comfortable, neutral is easy to find, controls are well placed and the bike handles really well. In conclusion, I just might save my nickels and dimes for the Street Bob replacement after never thinking I would give up my Dyna, although the biggest reason is I can get ABS brakes.

Not sure what else you consider to be in it's class, but I'm sure there are other make's models that would eat this thing for lunch...

Good looking bike! It would have to be a second bike for city slicking for me.

I'm a big fan of the option to stand up on my bike, especially for touring off the beaten path, and for long rides. It really helps stay comfortable.

Cool looking bike. They don't give a HP rating in the specs, just max torque. I'd think it's gotta make around 100~110 HP.

So heavy though at 676 lbs wet. Guess weight is Ok if you're just cruising around and not flicking the bike around. I'm use to the XSR900 at 430 lbs wet, which feels amazingly light on the road.

smile.gif
This thing is amazing.

I am going to take a ton of flame for this, but here goes...

Ride a Japanese bike. Enjoy the lightweight feel. Enjoy the throttle response, Appreciate the brakes. And the sticker price.

Then come back and tell us how much your definition of "amazing" has changed...

Why pay double, for half?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Cool looking bike. They don't give a HP rating in the specs, just max torque. I'd think it's gotta make around 100~110 HP.

So heavy though at 676 lbs wet. Guess weight is Ok if you're just cruising around and not flicking the bike around. I'm use to the XSR900 at 430 lbs wet, which feels amazingly light on the road.

Dyno charts I've seen for this Milwaukee 8 drivetrain are approx. 95-98 for rear wheel torque, and RWHP approx. 75-78.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
smile.gif
This thing is amazing.

Ride a Japanese bike. Enjoy the lightweight feel. Enjoy the throttle response, Appreciate the brakes. And the sticker price.

It's a new model with a new engine and it says "HD" on the gas tank...it doesn't need to be impressive compared to other makes, only compared to other HDs...people who ride HDs don't care about other makes...

Originally Posted By: grampi
propuckstopper said:
people who ride HDs don't care about other makes...

Such is the tragedy...

Its gotta say "HD" on the tank...

propuckstopper said:
people who ride HDs don't care about other makes...

Such is the tragedy...

Its gotta say "HD" on the tank...

And HD stands for... 'Hunnert Dollars'!

smile.gif
This thing is amazing.

You won't get flamed from me . . . been the Harley route when I was much younger. Only bike you can set a quart of milk on at a traffic light and watch it turn into cottage cheese (Milwaukee Vibrator). . . miserable heat, vibrates at an unreasonable rate, excessive noise . . .

Big Honda bikes - like the Shadows, VTX and Gold Wings will run circles around any HD bike out there, and won't cost you out the wazoo to maintain.

smile.gif
This thing is amazing.

Not everyone likes the appliance experience.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Good looking bike! It would have to be a second bike for city slicking for me.

I'm a big fan of the option to stand up on my bike, especially for touring off the beaten path, and for long rides. It really helps stay comfortable.

I agree, being able to stand up makes all the difference. When I was doing 5-600mi days going west on my XSR900 being able to stand every 50 miles or so really kept my rear from getting sore.

My uncle on his vstar 1100 was way more sore than me as he was stuck sitting the whole time.

I'm not a huge Harley fan, but I could be if they made a naked sport bike or sport tourer.

Last edited:
smile.gif
This thing is amazing.

Well let's see. I've owned and ridden Japanese (Honda, Yamaha & Suzuki), English Triumph, BSA and Greeves), German (BMW), and Italian (Guzzi and Laverda) bikes. I've ridden many Harely's too.

Currently I own a Sportster 1200C and a Honda or two ... The only bike I'm in the market for is a nice used Road King. I'll sell the Sporty when the right one comes along. It's the only bike that my wife and I can ride for over 8 hours and get off and feel as though we could go another 5 or 6 ...

It's about ergonomics and not about $$. Some Harley's are just very comfy to put for hours. They handle fine. They stop OK and get decent mileage. But none of those are buying criteria. How it feels and how it sits are ...

In fact, they are the only criteria that count
smile.gif

Last edited:
All I have to say is ride it. You'll change your biased opinion. USA#1.

I highly doubt that...having owned bikes like the Honda V-65 Magna, Yamaha V-Max, Suzuki M109R, and Triumph Rocket III, all bikes that could be considered to be in the same class, I can say without a doubt I would be underwhelmed. This bike may be impressive compared to other Harleys, but it's still laughable compared to other make's models...

I see the ship of fools is under full sail... I do love the predictability...

I’ve had Hondas, Kawasakis, a Yamaha and 2 Ducatis.

Japanese bikes are fine if you want plastic chrome and paint that looks like it was put on by a drunk 5 year old with a dollar store paint can (witch Kawasaki will refuse to fix BTW).

Here is an idea, if you don’t like Harleys just don’t read/reply to Harley threads... especially if you refuse to even try the one you are railing against.

Last edited:
The fools are those willing to make a house payment for a bike because it has nice paint and chrome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back