Is there a good fuel additive for lawnmowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AMC
Updated my post.

The length of time you store gasoline is very relevant. Like food, It only stays good for so long.

And yes fuel additves can be used to correct an engine not running properly, not snake oil. I have used heavy doses of seafoam to clean dirty carbs and make engines that were barely running run better with the carb still attached to the engine. There are plenty of other products out there that can do that and they do work well for what they are.

Mechanical repairs are not always necessary.

Perhaps you don't understand, I'll say it again.

The length of time in storage is irrelevant, you STILL need fresh fuel. I'm not saying it doesn't go off, I'm saying that it doesn't matter if the mower has been stored for 8 weeks or 10 years, it STILL needs fresh fuel.

The carbs you cleaned with seafoam wouldn't have gotten dirty with proper filtration. What can seafoam dissolve that petroleum cannot?

That is why I updated my post. I didn't mean to say how long you store the engine matters. I meant to say, how long you store the gas is what matters.

Seafoam and other additives can dissolve gums and varnishes that fresh gas alone cannot. If you deny that and are really that much of a skeptic about such things, why did you bother posting here? We are here to share experiences and opinions, not give one sided responses and suggestions which may or may not even be possible for others here to attempt for various reasons.

As for the guy who suggested using top tier fuel, again that doesn't appear to be available in my area. I watched the same unmarked generic fuel truck fill up both a shell and a mobil gas station (gas only, no diesel at either station) in my area.... So much for brand name, top tier fuel and how great it is.

You people that speak in all absolutes about things just don't get it.

OK, so I cleaned up the carburetor a bit, and cleaned the valve under the bowl. I drained the tank, and bought some E0 fuel and some Techron. It started with one pull and seemed to be running better. Did a little research and noticed there is an air filter precleaner which is missing. So I need to get one of those plus a new plug. Is there a fuel filter on this thing? The mower model # is 12AGA26E011 and the engine is B&S 5752B6856B1. I don't see a fuel filter, but I think there is an in-line one you can install. Any help with that is appreciated. Other than that, I just need to cut the lawn and see how it goes. thanks, Ed

edit: The current plug is a RJ19LM, is there a good plug recommended that cross references with that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Who disassembles carburetors every year?

***raises hand***

That would get very, very annoying.
frown.gif

I definitely recommend:

-Using Sta-Bil Marine stabilizer and dumping it into the fuel cans right after purchasing the fuel.
-Trying to use fuel within a month or two
-Running machines out of fuel when storing them (by shutting off fuel valve or emptying tank)

I do this as a side business, and carburetor problems have gone WAY down for customers who follow this.

Originally Posted By: edweather
OK, so I cleaned up the carburetor a bit, and cleaned the valve under the bowl. I drained the tank, and bought some E0 fuel and some Techron. It started with one pull and seemed to be running better. Did a little research and noticed there is an air filter precleaner which is missing. So I need to get one of those plus a new plug. Is there a fuel filter on this thing? The mower model # is 12AGA26E011 and the engine is B&S 5752B6856B1. I don't see a fuel filter, but I think there is an in-line one you can install. Any help with that is appreciated. Other than that, I just need to cut the lawn and see how it goes. thanks, Ed

edit: The current plug is a RJ19LM, is there a good plug recommended that cross references with that?

The push mowers usually do not have an inline fuel filter, although you can add a small screen style filter if you have the room and you really want to.

If you really want one, get one like this. Any place that sells small engine maintenance products and the big home improvement stores such as lowes or home depot should have them: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Stratton-Fuel-Filter-5098K/205448640

Champion RJ19LM is a good plug. Make sure it is gapped at .030 and you should be good to go.

You may also want to sharpen and balance the blade. A sharp blade makes a big difference.

the carb prob will need to be pulled and jet cleaned. use a very very thin wire push into holes you see, spray with carb cleaner repeat.
use Neutra. it will clean and keep the fuel from causing carb probs from happening during storage.

a little button type of inline fuel filter is what i put on my mowers. just cut rubber fuel line install and clamp both sides of new button filter, your good 2 go.
spray and clean all throttle linkage,,and check for rust on throttle cable.

I really love the Gumout multi-system tune up. I put some in the main fuel I fill with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back