Walther PPQ M2 45 ACP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Walther PPQ M2 45 ACP gets some impressive reviews. Gunbuyer has them for $519 before the Walther $100 rebate, which ends Sept 15th. $419 for a new Walther PPQ 45 is tempting. I'm happy with my S&W 9mm Shield I bought a few months ago, and absolutely don't need another pistol, but I have wanted a German made pistol for a while. It's big, kinda ugly, ammo is expensive, but I want it. I'm not an open carry kind of guy and it would be used as a second home defense pistol, with an occasional trip to the range. I'm torn between the want and the need thing right now. I think I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge, or talk me out of it. LOL!

With a 45 throwing twice the lead as a 9 the 45 is going to stop what it hits. I like a 9 for target but a good auto filled with a mag of 185 JHP or close inside work with 115 super hollow point, garbage cans I call em, is my preferred sidearm

Best carry weapon is one that fits you, easy to access, and that you shoot can accurately with.
The NRA lawyer that taught my carry class told us that in the rare event that you need your weapon, 19 of 21 times the attacker will leave when tbey see the weapon. 1 of 21 times you can shoot them with a .22 and they will leave. And the last 1 of 21 times it won't matter what you shoot them with... It better be the head or heart because they are too drugged up to care

Last edited:
I just looked it up on the Walther website. That's a tough looking handgun. I could go for one of those, but would probably select the 9 mm or .40.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Best home defense is a shotgun.

What does that have to do with the OP's topic?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I just looked it up on the Walther website. That's a tough looking handgun. I could go for one of those, but would probably select the 9 mm or .40.

What does that have to do with the OP's topic?
confused2.gif

He mentioned using it as a secondary home defense.

Shotguns are very hard on the furniture, walls and drapes. Very messy too.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper

Shotguns are very hard on the furniture, walls and drapes. Very messy too.

Hand guns allow you a free hand for things like a light, door lock, or cell phone with which to call the police...

Long guns are more effective, but not always the best choice for home defense.

Now, back on topic:

The Walther has an excellent trigger, is well made, and would be great for the range or for a defensive weapon. .45 ACP is a versatile round, and isn't that much more than 9mm. In a full size pistol, like this one, it's pleasant to shoot, and very effective.

Last edited:
Ive never felt the URGENT need for a home defense weapon. I guess I picked the right town to live in. Or am I missing something?

For home safety I would go with a moss 500 over an auto pistol.

The Wife would be prone to use the ACP on her hubby certain days:)

Originally Posted By: bioburner
With a 45 throwing twice the lead as a 9 the 45 is going to stop what it hits. I like a 9 for target but a good auto filled with a mag of 185 JHP or close inside work with 115 super hollow point, garbage cans I call em, is my preferred sidearm

Yep 9MM expand but .45's don't shrink!

That pistol is so new to market, I would not buy it myself. I love Walther pistols, but I refuse to buy new to market guns anymore. Too many upgrades and recalls in the first 2 to 3 years. That's my advice.

If you have some discretionary funds, perhaps stock up on ammo. Federal .223 is running a rebate, so you can get 1000 rounds for $250, which is the best price its been in at least 10 years.

If you dont have anything that shoot .223, then I think we have found what you should spend your discretionary money on.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
That pistol is so new to market, I would not buy it myself. I love Walther pistols, but I refuse to buy new to market guns anymore. Too many upgrades and recalls in the first 2 to 3 years. That's my advice......

True. There are just too many well proven older designs on the market to be a guinea pig for a new one.

How so?

Originally Posted By: CT8
How so?

Better break down of the debate of 45 vs 9 is over at defensivecarry.com

Best carry weapon is one that fits you, easy to access, and that you shoot can accurately with.
The NRA lawyer that taught my carry class told us that in the rare event that you need your weapon, 19 of 21 times the attacker will leave when tbey see the weapon. 1 of 21 times you can shoot them with a .22 and they will leave. And the last 1 of 21 times it won't matter what you shoot them with... It better be the head or heart because they are too drugged up to care

A good point is raised, a .22/ 9 mm should scare an intruder away, 3X as much with a (licensed) suppressor on it
and laser grips that turn on when you grab your gun!

I don't wanna blow out what's left of hearing for a perp! I wonder if a suppressor is legal for a home defense gun in
FL or AZ ? Comments?

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I wonder if a suppressor is legal for a home defense gun in FL or AZ ?

Yes they are legal for home defense in most states if a person pays the govt tax and goes through the legal paperwork to acquire one. You are looking at about a $700-1000 expense, plus months and months of waiting, but yes, its legal.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
I wonder if a suppressor is legal for a home defense gun in FL or AZ ?

Yes they are legal for home defense in most states if a person pays the govt tax and goes through the legal paperwork to acquire one. You are looking at about a $700-1000 expense, plus months and months of waiting, but yes, its legal.

What part of shall not infringe all they having problems with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back