Harley Xl1200 Primary/Trans UOA Red Line 75w-110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest Primary/Transmision UOA from my Sportster.

This was 10,000 miles on Red Line 75w-110 GL5 diff lube.
I am now running Red Line 75w-90 GL5 diff lube.
Maybe next time I'll run Formula +

You can see the difference in the additives between the Manual Trans fluid and the Diff lube.
Sql Query:

+--------------+----------------+-----------+-----------+

| | Miles on oil | 10000 | 10000 |

| | Total miles | 15000 | 25000 |

| | Date | 03/26/16 | 08/16/17 |

| | Make up oil | 0 | 0 |

| | Oil Brand | Red Line | Red Line |

| | Weight | MT-90 | 75w-110 |

|Universal avg | | | |

| ~ 5700 miles | | | |

| 9 | ALUMINUM | 82 | 81 |

| 0 | CHROMIUM | 0 | 0 |

| 47 | IRON | 58 | 74 |

| 6 | COPPER | 21 | 56 |

| 1 | LEAD | 2 | 1 |

| 1 | TIN | 0 | 0 |

| 141 | MOLYBDENUM | 16 | 6 |

| 0 | NICKEL | 1 | 1 |

| 1 | MANGANESE | 1 | 1 |

| 0 | SILVER | 0 | 0 |

| 0 | TITANIUM | 0 | 0 |

| 5 | POTASSIUM | 2 | 3 |

| 165 | BORON | 137 | 131 |

| 14 | SILICON | 49 | 77 |

| 6 | SODIUM | 5 | 8 |

| 1859 | CALCIUM | 2933 | 408 |

| 180 | MAGNESIUM | 109 | 23 |

| 960 | PHOSPHORUS | 1957 | 2930 |

| 535 | ZINC | 2199 | 392 |

| 0 | BARIUM | 0 | 1 |

| | | | |

| | SUS @ 210F | 77.2 | 92.7 |

| | cSt @ 100C | 14.83 | 18.63 |

| | Flashpoint F | 440 | 435 |

| | Insolubles % | TR | 0.4 |

| | TBN | | |

| | TAN | | |

+--------------+----------------+-----------+-----------+

I have a couple neodymium magnets epoxied to the inside of my primary cover. Do that and your iron numbers will go way down.

No need to open anything up, I'm fine with the iron numbers.
The drain plug already has a magnet in it.
Iron is within the "averages" when you compare the mileage difference.

AL is higher. I do have a HD Screamn' Eagle extra plate Kevlar clutch installed with a 10% heavier spring.

My plan is just to continue chain and clutch adjustment and run UOAs for now.
Not enough of these UOAs to compare too.

I'm surprised you aren't getting clutch slip with those products. I know that have the limited slip additives, but even so that system usually needs something with less friction reduction.

Also, GL-5's usually aren't suggested where yellow metals are present unless they are sufficiently buffered. Based on your copper numbers, I would assume that GL-5 is not buffered. If you are going to keep using it, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on any yellow metal components.

The Red Line MT-90 is a GL4 rated oil and has the friction characteristics for brass syncros in transmissions.
The Harley has a constant mesh transmission without synchronizers.

ALL of the Red Line GL5 oils test as 1A in the ASTM D-130 test.
ratings fall on a scale going from 1A (least corrosive) to 4C (most corrosive)

I have a heavier clutch spring and kevlar friction plates, the only slip I notice is tire slip.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
The Red Line MT-90 is a GL4 rated oil and has the friction characteristics for brass syncros in transmissions.
The Harley has a constant mesh transmission without synchronizers.

ALL of the Red Line GL5 oils test as 1A in the ASTM D-130 test.
ratings fall on a scale going from 1A (least corrosive) to 4C (most corrosive)

I have a heavier clutch spring and kevlar friction plates, the only slip I notice is tire slip.

Right, the GL-4 should be totally fine.

I didn't see that Cu corrosion data on the GL-5. Is that for a 3 hour period or 24 hour period? Despite that, your copper levels are elevated with the GL-5 compared to the GL-4. I just thought I'd point it out and offer up a theory as to why.

Thanks for the heads up on copper.
There is an Amsoil oil comparison on the web that shows the Red Line 75w-90 tested as 1B by Amsoil.
It shows being done at the MT-1 temp of 250 F for 3 hours.
http://www.oilteksolutions.com/GearLubeWhitePaper.pdf

I contacted Red Line and they replied it is 1A for their GL5 lubes.

From Dave at Red Line-
"Our GL-5 gear oils pass the D-130 1A, they contain a copper deactivator so are not corrosive to brass, bronze or copper."

The copper would be coming from the stator in the primary for the electrical system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba

I could never get the back tire to spin on my Sportster.
She was a wheelie-in' bee-otch.
Going into 3rd gear at 65 would bring the front tire up for a third time!

Best run: 12.39 in the 1/4 at Houston Raceway

Would REALLY look forward to seeing a Formula+ UOA on your trans/primary. Something many people do not do and now with your gear lube UOAs there is a reference point.

Personally for me, I will not use a gear lube in a transmission designed to run engine oil anymore then I would use engine oil in a transmission designed to run gear oil.

There are a mix of both types of fluids used in Car, Truck, Bike Transmissions, heck anything with gears and I trust the engineers who make the decisions on the fluid.

I dont think it will harm anything but if there is a potential for harm it will be from the fluid that is not recommended.

Last edited:
I would like to see several UOAs of 10,000 mile runs of Formula+.

To keep things simple just use Formula+ in the primary/transmission
smile.gif

I only ran it for the first 1000 miles, then SYN3 was run until the clutch was replaced at just over 3000 miles.

I have only seen one Formula+ VOA and it didn't show much in the way of additives.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3087905&Searchpage=1&Main=72166&Words=Formula+%2B&Search=true#Post3087905

It tested as a GL1 gear lube about the same viscosity as a 50 weight motor oil.
Harley even states not to use it in the engine.
Formula+ is the only primary/trans lube mentioned in my owners manual (it doesn't list SYN3 )
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/quart---formula--transmission-and-primary-chaincase-lubricant
" Formula+ is blended to provide lubricity for the anti-wear requirements of transmission gears. Not for use in the crankcase as a motor oil"
They do also suggest their SYN3 20w-50 can be used in the Sportster Primary/Transmission.
They do not have the same recommendation for the HD360 20w-50 mineral oil.

Last edited:
Correct Formula+ is primary/transmission fluid/oil, never an engine oil as any transmission fluid is not either.
Correct very little additives because its not being used in a combustion engine, just oiling gears, doesnt need detergents more much zinc as the gears do not run dry like an engine. Maybe better said GL1 performance type oil is all that is recommended for some reason.

Im sure the clutch was covered under warranty, did they find the cause? Slipping?

Last edited:
There are very little anti wear additives in Formula+, very little detergents also.
It doesn't need anything to combat blow by, moisture or the carbon from combustion.

The clutch was not covered under warranty, it was deliberate damage to the clutch while my now ex wife had possession of the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back