Ethanol fuel and winterizing with a carb engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to thinking.....at least on my 3.0LX carb engine. When winterizing, and you do all the normal stuff and then comes down to fogging the engine until it dies, there is still fuel in the carb bowl. From what I've gathered, that fuel will eventually evaporate, I'm talking 100% non ethanol fuel here. What if you put a couple of gallons of ethanol fuel in it after your last run and winterized with that? My thoughts are that the ethanol fuel will evaporate more quickly and leave less residue in the carb. In my particular case, the boat is stored inside so I'm not too worried about that gallon or two of ethanol fuel getting contaminated with water from sitting. You think that could work?

Pull the feed line off the carb and time how long it idles before the float bowl empties.

When you're ready, pull the line and start fogging maybe 10-15-20? Seconds before the bowl runs dry.

Drain the etha-crud out. Find somebody that has 100% racing gasoline, NO etha-crud in it. Buy 2-3 gals. Mix in 16oz's MMO. Start engine and run it until you smell that wonderful race gas smell. Shut it off....done. Race gas does go bad no where near as fast as regular fuel. The MMO in the race gas will leave a nice oily film inside the carb. Engine will start right up next spring. I have done this with all my carb'd toys, never fails.
11.gif

P.S. You can still fog the engine, I never did though.

Last edited:
I never really fog the engine either. Boat will only sit for about 6 months before firing it up again. Never thought of adding MMO to the last couple of gallons in the fuel. What I've usually done for years is run the boat until it's about empty, then I'd mix up a 2 gallon batch of gas with fuel stabilizer and run the boat for about 10-15 minutes before pulling it out of the water. I've never used ethanol gas, only 100% gas in that boat since new. The only reason I was asking was that I just had that carb rebuilt this year and wanted to protect it the best way I can. The only way I can shut of the fuel is to pull the fuel supply line off the fuel pump which is way down below, and then I got gas pouring out of the fuel tank for a couple of seconds, don't really want to do that. Appreciate the advice.

The feed line to the carb is a metal tube coming off the fuel pump. Don't really want to take that off. But I got to thinking, what if I just take the fuel pump off the engine, which is easy to get to, or just loosen it, then crank it up until it stops running. On that 3.0 engine, would oil blow out of it?

I would run some marine sta-bil and not sweat it. Fog the engine and you shouldn't have any ethanol issues. I haven't in 5+ years of winterizing marine engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back