Post-Harvey Diesel in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always fuel my diesels at the same Shell/Circle K station in Tampa.

I fueled up for the first time yesterday since the Gulf refineries/pipelines were shut down last week and this is the source of most of our diesel product. Out of caution. I also used my usual ratio of Stanadyne Performance at the recommended 16-oz per 30-gallons.

Fortunately I only filled one of my diesels and it only needed 20 gallons of its 30-gallon tank. Within 4 miles from leaving the station I noticed a "stumble". Within 10 miles the stumble was worse and the truck is making a racket. Acceleration has deteriorated also.

I supplemented with the remaining Stanadyne I had for a total of 32-oz. (Almost 3x the recommended) and performance has improved slightly.

As a precaution I had filled a clear 1-quart bottle with this same fuel at the time of my fill up primarily to check for water.
It has had 24 hours to settle and I don't see any water or contaminants in the sample of diesel. I will drain my fuel bowl filter this morning as a further precaution but I am hoping to avoid draining the tank.

There are really only two possibilities for this, right? Either an insufficient additive package (lubricity improver) at the Refiner or local Terminal or possibly the quality of the refined product itself, for example, low Cetane?

Opinions?

I wish there was a local platform to reach out to other customers to compare their experience but I am not aware of any. The Station manager was polite on the phone but offered no solution.

Call the station and they may have found others returning with the same issue. I have heard of gas being put into wrong tanks too.
I now use a pint of 2 stroke mixed with a pint of Power service fuel supplement in every tank in the 99

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Call the station and they may have found others returning with the same issue. I have heard of gas being put into wrong tanks too.
I now use a pint of 2 stroke mixed with a pint of Power service fuel supplement in every tank in the 99

Hello BioB,

You have to remember this is FL and not MN where most everyone is honest. ;-)

Perhaps I am just being cynical but I can't see the station manager disclosing that others have suffered a similar experience. She was not too concerned when I spoke to her yesterday.

I am always surprised how little the station managers are aware of their various fuel products. Sure, I don't expect a minimum wage cashier to care about such topics but its rare for even managers to know or care. I suppose its a testament to just how good our entire motor fuel infrastructure functions that we simply take it for granted that the upstream process will deliver a quality product to the pump.

When fuel was high there was a increase of stations adding used oil and other things into the tanks. Don't see it much now with fuel prices low but with the recent storm who knows without testing and now FL getting to get IRMA (should have been Uma, as in Uma Thurman from Kill Bill) resources for keeping things right are pretty low and focused on price gouging and just getting out.

I am keeping tabs on a friend in Melbourne who hopefully loaded the horses and moved North and I may roll down there after things settle as I am self contained with large camper and genny.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand but I was primarily asking about specific experience in the FL market over the past week.

Without any sign of water or particulates in my sample, I am inclined to think I can run this fuel after adding even more Stanadyne additive for increased lubricity and cetane.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

I now use a pint of 2 stroke mixed ....

I add 1oz per gallon. 32 gallons gets a whole quart of TCW-III oil.

I think this fuel needed more than the lubrication.

I don't think it was effectively additized at the Terminal so everything from detergent, cetane, etc were low.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I think this fuel needed more than the lubrication.

I don't think it was effectively additized at the Terminal so everything from detergent, cetane, etc were low.

That would be my guess also.

I replied to a post asking about contaminated gas after Hurricane Harvey and I have the same suggestion for diesel fuel also. I would pick up some K100D diesel fuel treatment (Napa and advance auto have it) and use it for the next few weeks or months, just for protection from any poor quality fuel that may come around while the region is still recovering. K-100 is an all in one type additive that removes water, cleans, boosts cetane, stabilizes fuel and adds lubricity.

http://k-100.com/fuel-type/diesel/

I have also heard good things about Biobor MD but have not tried it yet. It is a similar type of additive as K100, an all in one diesel treatment:

http://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-md-fuel-additives/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back