Exactly 1 quart over fill question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an 01 nissan sentra 2.0L. I had a senior moment and put in 4.5 quarts when it's spec is 3.5. Think it will hurt it?

My self imposed limit is 1/2 quart over. In a small sump like yours being a quart over is a lot imo. I'd get some oil out. The last thing you want is the oil foaming.

You could change out just the filter with a new one, that would get about 1/2 quart or maybe more out.

Last edited:
During a head gasket job on my friends '89 Silverado he mentioned that the small block Chevy was known to have room for an extra quart of oil.

It occurred to me that I had never heard of any other engines "allowable extra oil capacity".

Ladies and gentlemen, our next acronym, AEOC.

Originally Posted By: Kira
During a head gasket job on my friends '89 Silverado he mentioned that the small block Chevy was known to have room for an extra quart of oil.

It occurred to me that I had never heard of any other engines "allowable extra oil capacity".

thete was a tsb from ihc telling people to run an extra qt in those of used on high speed driving.

They would suck the pan dry with only 6 qts in them.

I would take it out, let it drain out normally when cold. A couple extra rags.

There have been a lot of these lately on BITOG....I always just take the number if quarts I need to the vehicle....

The Kias & Hyundais with "orange" dipsticks (versus yellow) are "service bulletin'd" to have an extra quart.

Unless you do a LOT of high RPM driving (I don't) it really won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

There have been a lot of these lately on BITOG....I always just take the number if quarts I need to the vehicle....

But to be fair. Many engines will show above the MAX mark by 5 - 10 mm. Even though you fill the correct amount. And let it drain till it stops dripping.

Loosen the drain plug ever so slightly & drain out until comfortable with an eye at all times how much is draining out. Better than multiple filter drains & the mess that goes with it is my opinion.

FWIW - I don't have a lot of experience with Nissan, but the ones I have seen spec less oil for a given size engine than other makers. 3.5 qt for a 2.0L in this case when others are 4.5, even 5.25 (Hyundai, Kia). I used to service a friends Sentra that was only 2.9 qt. More oil not only lubricates, it also helps with cooling and adds a safety margin if level is low.

Just an opinion.

Last edited:

Currently running 1qt over on my 83 Silverado with the 305, no worries
cheers3.gif

The danger with overfilling is the crankshaft dipping into the oil and whipping up foam. Go drive it hard for a few mins, pull the dipstick, see if that's the case. If foam, correct the level. If not, you're fine.

Is that still the case with newer 5.3s? I have an '05 tahoe. Little curious about this

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Is that still the case with newer 5.3s? I have an '05 tahoe. Little curious about this

I've never seen any small block "suck the pan dry" in a pick-up, regardless of driving style. The most common usage I've seen is about 1/2 qt. over 3k miles. I usually keep the level 1/2 to 3/4 on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Originally Posted By: Kuato

But to be fair. Many engines will show above the MAX mark by 5 - 10 mm. Even though you fill the correct amount. And let it drain till it stops dripping.

What do you mean, fair? Numerous posts about putting in an extra quart and you come back with fair? Please explain how your post correlates, I am not getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back