PUP vs PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find deals on PUP anymore (local store). However, I have been seeing PP around $18-20 per 5qt. is PUP still all that and a bag of chips over PP? Usually pick up 0w20 and 0w40.

If this has already been covered recently feel free to flame the post- I searched here and google and didn't come up with anything newer than 2013...

I wish there was most info on PUP, it is supposed to be better than PP. but by how much and in what way? I have 15- 5 quart jugs of it since no one can ever find it, I stock piled it.

Also if you are HellaBroke there are probably some better options out there for you
wink.gif

Walmart had PUP online for $24.95 a jug about a month ago. I got four jugs. Someone posted a notice here on BITOG and I got it before it quickly sold out.

PUP doesn't ever exist in my local store but is available at Walmart online sometimes. I bought 4 5qt jugs of 5w20 for around $19.67 or so plus mail in rebate which I got right away. This site is what alerted me of its availability. Just have to wait and strike when the time is right.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
PUP doesn't ever exist in my local store but is available at Walmart online sometimes. I bought 4 5qt jugs of 5w20 for around $19.67 or so plus mail in rebate which I got right away. This site is what alerted me of its availability. Just have to wait and strike when the time is right.

I concur.
Hardly ever exists and when it does it's GONE Fast.
Personally never wanted to do anything with it as it's so hard to get.
Tend to just stick to what I can find.

Hope someone else can help you out

It's just easier to stick with the regular Platinum synthetic. It is a good oil. If you are running a shorter OCI, it makes better sense to stat with the Platinum.

I don't think PUP is worth buying until SOPUS can figure out how to produce it and distribute it. The last time I could freely buy it was Q1 of 2015. Since then it has appeared once in a while but gets bought up quickly.

Note that I only consider it worth buying at less than $30 for 5qts. There are too many just as good oils that can be had for $25 any day of the week.

If you want to use PUP you have to be patient and frequently look on WMT's website. They have it from time to time under $25 for a 5 quart jug. When they have it act fast and buy a years supply. LOL That's the key. I can't figure out for the life of me what Pennzoil's problem is with keeping this oil in the supply chain.

AMZN has it from time to time as well. Again patience is the key, or use something else.

Same here in my area (VA). You can find PP all day long, but PUP is very hard to find. You can only find it in QT bottles also, never the 5 QT jugs like PP. It costs over $1.00 per QT than PP also.

No one seems to be answering the original question as to what is the difference in the additive package?

Last edited:
There have not been any reports in recent history. All the analysis reports I see are old and most likely outdated. Besides, oil companies are reformulating for dexos gen2.

I believe that pup has more cleaners in it like calcium.
Last i checked pup is not dexos 1 gen 2 approved. That MAY have have to do with the high cleaner content which MAY cause issues with turbo gdi ignition.
Hopefully someone here can confirm my recollection.

PQIA report in 2013 on PUP and PP. 5w-30

PUP PP
TBN---------- 9.4 9.0
100c ---------9.9 10.0
40c ---------55.7 55.1
VI ---------165 171
volatility loss 6.6 9.3
-30 ----------3827 4154
Calcium ------2684 2624
magnesium -----17 13
Phosphorus ----744 651
zinc ----------987 869
Moly ----------68 59
Boron ---------152 2

Originally Posted By: RLS
PQIA report in 2013 on PUP and PP. 5w-30

PUP PP
TBN---------- 9.4 9.0
100c ---------9.9 10.0
40c ---------55.7 55.1
VI ---------165 171
volatility loss 6.6 9.3
-30 ----------3827 4154
Calcium ------2684 2624
magnesium -----17 13
Phosphorus ----744 651
zinc ----------987 869
Moly ----------68 59
Boron ---------152 2

Those are actually different oils than the PurePlus (GTL) ones that are on the shelf now.
The old Pennzoil Ultra (not Ultra Platinum) had some pretty amazing properties and some folks still try to scavenge up old bottle of it.
SOPUS originally provided very detailed VOA info for the Platinum PurePlus (PPP) and Ultra Platinum PurePlus (PUPP) lines, but that was replaced with a more generic info sheet pretty quickly.

The PQIA did provide a VOA of Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus in 2014...
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/pennzplatinum.htm

Last edited:
Well, looks like when I can catch it on a deal I will have to buy a couple of each weight to get me through... Amazon used to sell it consistently around $25 a jug... that was a year or so ago.

I might have to look at sending in a VOA sample done to get some recent data.

Someone mentioned manufactures are looking to update to dexorox 2 or something (I'm going to have to go back and read what they said and look it up to see what this change is (requirements) and see if there are any good discussions floating around for date that new oils should be hitting the shelf) Is this change for the good the bad or the Ugly? :|

Thank you for all the responses.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There have not been any reports in recent history. All the analysis reports I see are old and most likely outdated. Besides, oil companies are reformulating for dexos gen2.

I found this while googling Dexos Gen 2-

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Pennzoil platinum is on the list as a Gen 2 Dexos, however, PUP is not.

The biggest change to gen2 oils that I've read is that the amount of calcium will be lowered. It is suspect that higher calcium amounts contribute to lspi.

Are you dead set on using PUP? This shortage that is being experienced by many has been ongoing for some time. As others mentioned, you can monitor WM and Amazon online for when new stock is available but I imagine it is sold out very quickly. Most users here just use the regular Platinum synthetic oil. It's a very good oil in its own right. Other brands have their top level oils readily available too like Castrol EP Gold or Mobil 1 EP. So there are lots of options.

I can't answer your question concerning PUP. I believe it has additional detergents and higher TBN. Have you considered Redline? I've been considering it in the near future. A couple weeks ago Hellmart (walmart) had PUP on sale. That sale lasted less than an hour and it was sold out. No one in the albuquerque Metro stores (8) currently have stock of PUP.

Good luck!

Pajero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back