UPF64R a substitute for PF48e...or PF64???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know if I have to ask, I probably already know what I should do...

Recently bought some oil filters from Rock Auto...

Remembering that I had used AC Delco Ultraguard Gold (old name) in the past on an LS1 Corvette and an LS2 GTO I thought why not...

My car is a 2015 Chevrolet SS sedan and calls for the Delco PF48...the PF48 has been replaced with the PF48e (e core)...thinking I was just ordering the premium version of a filter that was listed on a substitute filter list and thinking I could kill two birds with one stone by getting some of these for the GF's 2013 Chevrolet Malibu 2.0 Turbo calling for the PF64, I bought some...

realizing that I may have made a mistake I was hoping for my knowledgable heads here to let me know if I'm returning these filters and going some other way or if they'll be fine.

The filters that arrived were not like what I had seen on the 'net with a red label but these appear to be older ones in an AC Delco box with the gold writing and label that has Ultraguard Gold written on them...the appear just a touch taller (very small amount) and quite a bit heavier...also the bypass spring seems to be near the top of the filter (cap) whereas the PF64 I have has the spring nearer the bottom (filter gasket)

Bill

I think the easy answer is to stick with what the manual calls for or at least that which is on an approved substitute list...off these go back to Rock Auto...$7 shipping is a small price to pay for peace of mind...

Bill

Last edited:
They make a UPF48R Ultraguard Gold if you don't like the E-core filter, It's identical to the Mobil 1 M1-113.

I have a feeling the PF64 & PF48 have different bypass pressure settings??

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
They make a UPF48R Ultraguard Gold if you don't like the E-core filter, It's identical to the Mobil 1 M1-113.

I have a feeling the PF64 & PF48 have different bypass pressure settings??

this is my concern as well as what appears to be the bypass valve at the opposite ends of the filter...

I also understand about the M1 filters and other premium filters on the market and may go with one of them...

Thanks for your responses...

Bill

further...the UPF64R is now listed for the 1.5 Turbo but not as an alternate for the 2.0 Turbo motor...the UPF48R is shown as an alternate for the PF48 AND the PF64 but the UPF64R is not an alternate for either of those PF filters...the M1-113/M1-113A are showing as an alternate filter choice for BOTH the PF48 and the PF64...

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silversport
further...the UPF64R is now listed for the 1.5 Turbo but not as an alternate for the 2.0 Turbo motor...the UPF48R is shown as an alternate for the PF48 AND the PF64 but the UPF64R is not an alternate for either of those PF filters...the M1-113/M1-113A are showing as an alternate filter choice for BOTH the PF48 and the PF64...

They probably all cross to each application without any problems at all.

probably won't cut it through the warranty period...I appreciate your response but the bypass pressure settings are different, the bypass valve is at different ends of the filter itself and since AC Delco doesn't cross reference these filters with each other even after changing the spec for the 1.5 Turbo in the Malibu but not for the 2.0 Turbo, I think I'll err on the side of caution and stick with the regular blue can Delcos...

Bill

just an update with information I learned today...the '13 Malibu 2.0T is now listed to be able to use a UPF64r Ultraguard Gold AC Delco filter as well as the M1-113A Mobil 1 extended performance filter...

My SS sedan lists a UPF48r as the Ultraguard Gold Delco but the same M1-113A Mobil 1 filter...

I suspect the length of the filter may be the difference in these two Ultraguard filters...

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back