Having to Reboot Cable Modem Everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I want to maintain a fast connection speed, I have to reboot about everyday it seems like.

Before Reboot
Ping: 18
Download: 1.52
Upload: 5.65

After Reboot
Ping: 19
Download: 57.51
Upload: 5.96

Cable Modem: Motorola MG7550

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If I want to maintain a fast connection speed, I have to reboot about everyday it seems like.

Before Reboot
Ping: 18
Download: 1.52
Upload: 5.65

After Reboot
Ping: 19
Download: 57.51
Upload: 5.96

Cable Modem: Motorola MG7550

Sounds like you found your solution, get yourself a Clapper and clap off, clap on each night before bed.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sounds like you found your solution, get yourself a Clapper and clap off, clap on each night before bed.

Are you saying I should turn the modem off before going to bed ?

Modem getting clogged up with alien spaceship signals while I'm asleep ?

Precisely!
50.gif

New modem time. Our last modem worked for about a year and a half before it needed weekly reboots. Stuff just isn't built to last anymore. The one before it lasted 6 years.

check your outside connections. i would get drops and slow speed frequently. i called the cable company and they came out and checked the connectors and said they were corroded. they changed them out for no charge. has not dropped a day since

Do you have a router connected after the Motorola? If so, it might be the router. Try rebooting the router and see if you get the same result. If not...have modem swapped again. Do you have wifi? Retest your speed after 20 mins or so...

Call Comcast and they will do a remote diagnosis. Even if they don't find anything-I'm sure you will be able to exchange the modem if you wish.

Comcast as a general rule has good tech support-they can actually "look" at your modem.

Much better than trying to find answers here.

Last edited:
same for me. I rebooted router and its all ok now , router firmware update might be needed? i got to attempt it since its been going on to long . router is old. I bought it used in 2014 and just started using it again last month.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Do you have a router connected after the Motorola?

The MG7550 is a WiFi modem. 5 Star rated at Amazon. Works perfect until it slows down.

I wonder if somebody has hacked into it using all the bandwidth and then get disconnected on the reboot.

Are you connecting to it with wifi?
Is the router close to a microwave or cordless phone?
Those can cause interference depending on the wifi band you are using 2.4 or 5 ghz.

Have you turned off the wifi power save mode?
https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/226794407-Wireless-Optimization-for-MG7550

You may have a wifi channel selected that is crowded by neighbors.Especially common in apartments.
This utility will show you surrounding wifi networks and the channels they use.
Pick the least used channel of the strongest signals near you and set your wifi to use it.
Using the Web interface for your cable modem. (see instructions in the link above.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Check the cable modem channel power settings-
https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006259587

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Try making a static ip. It wont change and if you game or stream it seems to help. Running Cat6 cable right?

Not sure if serious...

Hey Merk,
Assuming you own this modem?

1. Call Comcast and have them check your lines etc like everyone said.
2. If that shows nothing, it might just be getting old. I'm not a fan of the All-In-One devices that have the modem, wifi, and switch/ports. If one thing goes bad, the whole thing doesn't work.
3. If you really need to replace, either get a refurb of what you have -OR- my suggestion is to get a Motorola/Arris 6183 and Apple Airport Extreme. You can get both refurb for a decent price (~$50 for the arris and ~129 for the Apple).

PM if you run into issues with tech support/customer service.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Try making a static ip. It wont change and if you game or stream it seems to help. Running Cat6 cable right?

What? No.

Without rebooting modem, plug your PC direct to the modem and speed test.

Cable modems run hot. It is made to be used standing on end in a vertical position, do that do not lay it down flat. Make sure there is no obstruction to air flow, nothing stacked on top or beside the modem. Some people add fans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Precisely!
50.gif

merk -- you KNOW that you have to wear your foil hat while you sleep. so, this issue is your fault.
have a good day.

Next time when you're having a slow down: check your signals page to see if your downstream channels are being dropped by the modem, or if some of those channels have abnormally large amount of uncorrectables. Reboot the modem and check the signals page again and note any changes. Probably a poor connector susceptible to interference at some point - call your ISP and see if they can send a tech to trace it down and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back