Review of Mazda SkyActiv X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I'm genuinely impressed they got a functioning prototype. It's one of those technologies I thought would be better suited for something like a generator or gas/electric train where the load is fairly constant. I honestly didn't think they could pull it off in a passenger automobile.

In my reading on the subject, it had been mentioned that the other automakers had dabbled with the idea but they stopped at some point. Perhaps they all came to a certain point in the process and could not get past it. It appears Mazda has come up with the solution.

The engine has a supercharger. Maybe that was the key?

So everyone forget about Wankel and Mazda's fiasco even with latest and best RX8? If that car had charged four inline it would be brilliant. But no, we have to be different and change engines in the same intervals as cambelts in the 80s.

I believe F1 engines have been using a similar spark controlled compression ignition system for a few years now, so maybe Mazda poached some engine designers from one of those engine manufacturers? Also I read that Toyota is a shareholder in Mazda now so maybe they are using Mazda to try some new tech without risking their reputation?
I really impressed that they are testing the system with a manual transmission as well, so there is hope for driver oriented cheap cars for a few more years!

Very impressive is an understatement.

I was always wondering how are they going to precisely control the timing of the ignition in HCCI without using a mechanical plunger, and how quickly they can switch between different ignition timing (or type) mechanically or thermally. Using just spark plug to be able to achieve this is very impressive.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Very impressive is an understatement.

I was always wondering how are they going to precisely control the timing of the ignition in HCCI without using a mechanical plunger, and how quickly they can switch between different ignition timing (or type) mechanically or thermally. Using just spark plug to be able to achieve this is very impressive.

The controlled ping thing is pretty cool. I like it and hope it ends up working out for them! Mazda seems to have a decent job with Skyactiv - I wouldn't say they were an early adopter, but I hope the Skyactiv-X ends up working out for them.

They're definitely trying. And it's available with a manual so the EPA hasn't fully restricted what they can do!

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Hope they are smart enough to not have another Wankel type fiasco.

I would like to think that they are smarter now. My opinion is that any Wankel engine would be limited to one model. That's my guess. Consumers shied away from Mazda because the rotary engine pretty much locked them to Mazda. That was one major reason I never considered Mazda in the past for vehicle purchases. The other was Fords involvement. Obviously I'm not a fan of Ford. However, today is different and Mazda is enjoying great success albeit in a small scale compared to the bigger automakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back