Help me find a transmission!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, in case I never posted, my 2004 F150’s transmission decided it didn’t wanna go to work anymore about 6 months ago. I’ve had it for sale on and off, but I’ve ultimately decided to keep it, as putting a new transmission in it will be a ton cheaper then looking for another decent truck. My issue is, I don’t know who to buy from. I’ve seen Jasper, Monster, EBay, etc. but I have no idea who’s good and who isn’t. I’m needing a 4r70w for a 2004 F150 with the 4.6, 2 wheel drive. If anyone has bought that specific trans from somewhere, I’d love to hear. Otherwise, who do you all recommend? I had a local shop do a rebuild on it 3 years ago and it didn’t last past 50K, and the warranty was non-existent. Thanks!

I had a shop do the tranny on my little Transit and it had a 2 year warranty. My local Ford mechanic said he could have done the job for about 1200 but the pro shop did it for little over 2k. Was told that it had looked like never been serviced:( I would think a shop worth their salt would stand behind a rebuild.

So I hit a deer with my prius and the body shop is getting toyota parts from lkq.

Instead of a rebuild consider a used one from a wreck with 50-100K miles?

Transmission rebuilds are black magic and you can't tell the sorcerers from the illusionists.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just installed an eBay transmission from a rebuilder with a decent warranty. So far so good but it's only been about a month and a few thousand miles. I'll ask the name for you. The truck that got the transmission was the same model as yours. The outgoing transmission lost reverse intermittently (would back up a few feet or a few hundred feet then nothing) then eventually lost reverse all together. Like I said too early to tell on the rebuilt unit as it's very new but initial impression is very good.

Jasper gets high marks on Ford AX4N rebuilds....with upgrades to eliminate the factory weak spots. Sonnax is also mentioned. Sonnax and Luc Schaefler for quality Torque Converters.

I would think they can help on your Ford rebuild/reman.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Instead of a rebuild consider a used one from a wreck with 50-100K miles?
Transmission rebuilds are black magic and you can't tell the sorcerers from the illusionists.

EXACTLY THIS!! ^^^

Only exception - if you find a trans guy you like, ask him how much he'd charge if it were going in a vehicle HE owned.
Yes - it will cost more. I know from experience.

A wrecking yard unit is honestly the safest bet (and best price). They usually offer 30 days. If it lasts 30 days, it'll usually last 5+ years.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Jasper gets high marks on Ford AX4N rebuilds....with upgrades to eliminate the factory weak spots.

mrsilv04 says, "Jasper (never again)"
smile.gif

Jasper Never Again Thread

This spring my suburban went bang and I lost reverse second and fourth. After pricing a bunch I bought a junkyard trans for 600. Pulled pan to put a new filter and my deeper pan on it looked like [censored] inside worse than the one out of the suburban.

I returned the junk got my money back.
I ordered one from Oreilly's. If memory serves 3 year unlimited mileage. So far so good. Flushed lines and coolers backwards and forwards with cans of flush, with trans fluid and air. I also put a inline filter in.

Quote:

This spring my suburban went bang and I lost reverse second and fourth. After pricing a bunch I bought a junkyard trans for 600. Pulled pan to put a new filter and my deeper pan on it looked like [censored] inside worse than the one out of the suburban.

That is unfortunate, but statistically not too likely for the OP; Literally "everyone" is running around with a used transmission.

The key would be to find a wreck with documented mileage, not an 'off the warehouse rack' of unknown history.

Last edited:
Search on car-part.com for a used one. This website searches a lot of salvage yards inventory.

They're already pulled, probably $400. They usually list mileage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back