Warranty work question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago regarding the HVAC air distribution control being incorrect on our 2016 Ford Escape:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...obl#Post4495609

I brought it in to the dealer yesterday for the repair and brought a copy of the TSB which is shown in the original thread. My A/C was working perfectly but the distribution on the drivers side was 50/50 face/feet when in the 100% face position (the passenger side worked correctly). (This is the Escape's first visit to a dealer and I used a dealer closer to home than the dealer where I purchased the car). Eight hours after dropping the car off I got a call saying that the A/C wasn't working and that they "were waiting for advisement from Ford". Late today I got a call telling me that my compressor was bad and that Ford OK'd a new compressor. The service advisor also said that if the new compressor didn't fix the problem they would then perform the TSB and that everything would be covered under warranty.

Even though I didn't use it yesterday morning, I am certain that the A/C was working when I brought it in. My wife said it was working fine the evening before.

What are your thoughts on this?

Does it have a variable displacement compressor? It's possible it could still be the compressor, I've seen that on other cars where one side is colder than the other, you'd think it was some kind of heater control valve or baffle but it turned out to be the compressor. Or the dealer is just ignoring what you provided and guessing it's just the compressor or the compressor job pays more than the TSB.

See if it fixes the issue when you go to pick it up. Stranger things have happened. They maybe trying to pad the bill to Ford. I would test it right then and there at the dealer. Hopefully, you're getting a free loaner while the work is being done.

Second option is having it fixed at the dealer where you bought the car from. Then you won't have to deal with the other dealer which might be worth it.

Yes, they gave me a loaner.
That's what I was wondering...(if they are trying to get more $$$ out of Ford).
I think it's strange that the A/C was working and the TSB describes my problem exactly...It's sad to think that (possibly) the dealer would screw the manufacturer but I guess nothing would surprise me these days...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think it's strange that the A/C was working and the TSB describes my problem exactly...It's sad to think that (possibly) the dealer would screw the manufacturer but I guess nothing would surprise me these days...

I've often wondered if they do the actual TSB, but bill Ford for a more expensive different repair for more money. In the end the issue is fixed. I just wouldn't go back there if they do that type of stuff. Not saying they are doing that, just throwing out some ideas. I wouldn't mention it to them either since you don't want to tick them off while they have your car in their possession/beat on the vehicle, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I've often wondered if they do the actual TSB, but bill Ford for a more expensive different repair for more money. In the end the issue is fixed. I just wouldn't go back there if they do that type of stuff. Not saying they are doing that, just throwing out some ideas. I wouldn't mention it to them either since you don't want to tick them off while they have your car in their possession/beat on the vehicle, etc.

Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine.

The selling dealer is over an hour away and I wasn't very impressed with them at purchase time....I bought the car there because their TRUECAR price was very good (although they played a few games with 'fees' afterwards).

I only take my car to the dealer for 'recalls' and warranty work. I hate the whole 'service advisor' system where you don't get to speak to the guy that actually fixes the car...

All warranty parts must be returned to the auto manufacturer at their central warranty system. If the company sees a dealer misdiagnosing too often or replacing parts unnecessarily, I'm sure it would become an issue for the dealer. They wouldn't get away with funny business for too long.

Let's second guess the dealer when it's not costing anything.

Great thread......

Originally Posted By: CKN

Great thread......

I wouldn't want parts changed on my car unnecessarily even if I wasn't paying for it. Trying to R&R something in a tight engine bay is never going to go as well as a factory setting.

My thoughts, as someone who is familiar with how dealership warranty jobs work:

All warranty repairs are done through the manufacturer's internal tech support. They work with the mechanic involved in the job to determine testing and find what's going on. Work not approved through that service can't be performed on the vehicle. Essentially they need to do what the people who pay them tell them to do. If it's customer pay, they'll do what makes you happy. If it's warranty pay, they do what makes Ford happy.

As a mechanic, sometimes I need to fight and argue with them. Sometimes I win and they give me approval for what I want to do, sometimes they won't let me go further until I do what they want.

If you want to be upset at someone for getting a free compressor, be mad at the Ford warranty/help division, not the individual mechanic working on your car. They have less say in the matter than you might think.

Hope I cleared up some of the confusion

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
All warranty parts must be returned to the auto manufacturer at their central warranty system. If the company sees a dealer misdiagnosing too often or replacing parts unnecessarily, I'm sure it would become an issue for the dealer. They wouldn't get away with funny business for too long.

That's good to know.

"Let's second guess the dealer when it's not costing anything.

Great thread......"

If you owned Ford stock you might not be happy if they were being screwed....

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
My thoughts, as someone who is familiar with how dealership warranty jobs work:

All warranty repairs are done through the manufacturer's internal tech support. They work with the mechanic involved in the job to determine testing and find what's going on. Work not approved through that service can't be performed on the vehicle. Essentially they need to do what the people who pay them tell them to do. If it's customer pay, they'll do what makes you happy. If it's warranty pay, they do what makes Ford happy.

As a mechanic, sometimes I need to fight and argue with them. Sometimes I win and they give me approval for what I want to do, sometimes they won't let me go further until I do what they want.

If you want to be upset at someone for getting a free compressor, be mad at the Ford warranty/help division, not the individual mechanic working on your car. They have less say in the matter than you might think.

Hope I cleared up some of the confusion

Thanks..that is great to know. This thread answered a lot of questions about how warranty repairs work.
There's always somebody who chimes in but has nothing to add....

From this.....
Quote:
.... My A/C was working perfectly but the distribution on the drivers side was 50/50 face/feet when in the 100% face position (the passenger side worked correctly).....

To this
Quote:
...Eight hours after dropping the car off I got a call saying that the A/C wasn't working and that they "were waiting for advisement from Ford".... Late today I got a call telling me that my compressor was bad and that Ford OK'd a new compressor.?.....

Sure sounds fishy. Guess you'll know if the compressor replacement was really needed if the tsb repair is required to fix the issue you brought the car in for.

Once I had an electric radiator fan on a Dodge Caravan, it was making horrible whirring noise when it came on, fan turning. I suspected a balance weight on the fan blade came came off or something similar, but I know for a fact the fan was not completely broken, not working. When the dealer tech came to show me the fan, it was completely broken off the center shaft. They replaced the whole fan assembly under warranty, problem fixed.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Great thread......

I wouldn't want parts changed on my car unnecessarily even if I wasn't paying for it. Trying to R&R something in a tight engine bay is never going to go as well as a factory setting.

In theory your right. But there are published procedures for R&R for many part replacements-so it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
From this.....
Quote:
.... My A/C was working perfectly but the distribution on the drivers side was 50/50 face/feet when in the 100% face position (the passenger side worked correctly).....

To this
Quote:
...Eight hours after dropping the car off I got a call saying that the A/C wasn't working and that they "were waiting for advisement from Ford".... Late today I got a call telling me that my compressor was bad and that Ford OK'd a new compressor.?.....

Sure sounds fishy. Guess you'll know if the compressor replacement was really needed if the tsb repair is required to fix the issue you brought the car in for.

Once I had an electric radiator fan on a Dodge Caravan, it was making horrible whirring noise when it came on, fan turning. I suspected a balance weight on the fan blade came came off or something similar, but I know for a fact the fan was not completely broken, not working. When the dealer tech came to show me the fan, it was completely broken off the center shaft. They replaced the whole fan assembly under warranty, problem fixed.

Another possibility is that the tech broke/disconnected something while trying to access the stuck vent although it seems unlikely. Kestas and Snowdrifter's posts address the steps that are taken to keep dealers honest so who knows...

Great thread......

+1,000

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Great thread......

+1,000

I'm wasn't suggesting that this is definitely fraud but I was asking for opinions since it seemed strange that the compressor was working the day before....The attitude that 'what's the difference if your not paying for it' is silly since FRAUD costs everybody...

I'm wasn't suggesting that this is definitely fraud but I was asking for opinions since it seemed strange that the compressor was working the day before....The attitude that 'what's the difference if your not paying for it' is silly since FRAUD costs everybody...

Nothing indicates this is fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back