2016 Tire Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes,
a declining number could be simply losing an unprofitable oem tire fitment where they made no money.

For example if michelin lost out to hankook or giti

A lot of Chinese and east Asian companies are getting into the game and stealing market share away. Instead of a US company outsourcing, they're doing their own marketing and peddling their products to tire dealers themselves, and people are eating them up to save a couple bucks.

Most people I know give zero thought into their tires, they just want the cheapest or, believe the tire dealer when they say they are getting a good tire for their money. I had a co-worker proudly display his new Linglong Crosswind A/T tires with the white letters out. He thought he got a smokin' deal, I just laughed.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I had a co-worker proudly display his new Linglong Crosswind A/T tires with the white letters out. He thought he got a smokin' deal, I just laughed.

I didn't think you were serious until I googled the name

lol.gif

I absolutely love Cooper tires.
I saw a Chinese tire on a car next to me at Wal Mart called a Passion Tyre.
Right now I have Coopers on the 2007 F 150XL, Firestones on the 2010 RAV 4, Michelin OEM's on the 2017 RAV4, Yokohama's on the 2003 4Runner.The Coopers on the 2006 Prius that I gave my son recently had exceeded their mileage rating and had plenty of tread left.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
A lot of Chinese and east Asian companies are getting into the game and stealing market share away. Instead of a US company outsourcing, they're doing their own marketing and peddling their products to tire dealers themselves, and people are eating them up to save a couple bucks.

Most people I know give zero thought into their tires, they just want the cheapest or, believe the tire dealer when they say they are getting a good tire for their money. I had a co-worker proudly display his new Linglong Crosswind A/T tires with the white letters out. He thought he got a smokin' deal, I just laughed.

You can't prove they are bad tires just because of the country of origin. Have a cell phone or a wide screen. Might be made "over there".....

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Linglong Desperados are a pretty good A/T tire with good traction and mileage.

http://www.linglongtire.com/light-truck-tires/desperado

j/k, just wanted to make a post about them.

Best. Tire. Name. Ever.

It will be hard to resist not mentioning that one when the next tire thread appears asking which tire to buy.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I would not put a Chinese designed and manufactured tire on my wheelbarrow!

Scott

Yea-we know.......and all car dealers are bad......Michelins are the greatest tires in the world...Crown Vics are the greatest cars in the world...thin oil is very bad.

Yea-we know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Linglong Desperados are a pretty good A/T tire with good traction and mileage.

http://www.linglongtire.com/light-truck-tires/desperado

j/k, just wanted to make a post about them.

Best. Tire. Name. Ever.

It will be hard to resist not mentioning that one when the next tire thread appears asking which tire to buy.
lol.gif

l_p0013227215.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Linglong has the best mascot, too
lol.gif

Yea-it's almost as good as Goodyear's "winged shoe".

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/

Do you really think you can cast stones when a company has a "winged shoe" logo?

Last edited:
Quote:
You can't prove they are bad tires just because of the country of origin. Have a cell phone or a wide screen. Might be made "over there".....

Of course I'm not so naive to think they're bad tires just because of the name. They looked decent. The tread pattern was not for me-- too A/T aggressive, like the first gen Yoko Geolandars on steroids. Almost like they're trying too hard.

The point is, these foreign companies are getting into the game big time. Building their own factories in China, Vietnam, Indonesia, wherever they can make the most money. Traditional tire companies, many American, others not, will continue to lose market share.

The old wisdom that you can design a tire in X location and build it in Y where the labor is cheap is fundamentally flawed when a company can build headquarters and manufacture both @ Y location where all business aspects are cheap and simply export. They can do that because most Americans nowadays don't care if their sidewall says Linglong or Continental or Goodyear.

Think of that the next time Donald Trump or the Democrats, republicans or whoever proposes the next version of TransPacific Partnership.

FWIW, I bought four sets of tires last year, one for each vehicle in my signature.

Odyssey got Michelin Defenders, COO is Italy. Carries our four kids, with a couple cross country trips each year. Piece of mind was worth the extra money.

Mazda tribute - general Grabber STX- the Wal-Mart clone of the HTS. Made in southern Illinois somewhere. Awesome tire for the price.

Nissan Maxima - Sumitomo HTR AS P02. Made in Indonesia, but from a company that's been in the tire business longer than most. I looked up endless reviews and comparisons and still believe this is the best tire I could have bought in this semi-rare size (most have abandoned 15") for my driving style.

F250- Treadwright retreads, remolded in Houston, TX. Had any early failure, but they've been great since that one replacement.

Last edited:
From someone who sells a bunch of US goods to the Chinese, I've been there enough to know that they have a lot of tier 1 manufacturing, some of the best factories in the world. While an aftermarket door handle might not be up to your standards, many of the tire companies certainly are, among other things. World economy, just be glad you have a choice in what you buy.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
From someone who sells a bunch of US goods to the Chinese, I've been there enough to know that they have a lot of tier 1 manufacturing, some of the best factories in the world. While an aftermarket door handle might not be up to your standards, many of the tire companies certainly are, among other things. World economy, just be glad you have a choice in what you buy.

This post doesn't belong on BITOG! It makes too much sense-and has first hand knowledge.

Nope-doesn't belong!
smirk.gif
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back