Dealer oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it does happen a lot more than people think. Seems that it is getting publicized more since dashcams are more common and people are able to capture it on video.

I solve this by not having vehicles that people would want to joyride
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
http://amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/news/140...ride?source=dam

This happens regularly but nobody can prove it.

All you need is some sort of tracker, or the insurance plug-in that keeps track of engine parameters, or a quick look at your odometer when you drop it off.

It would be a juicy day to prove that sort of thing and sue the dealership.

My cousin had his VW in for service under warranty and the service writer drove it home for lunch and totaled it.
The joke was they owed more for it than the insurance paid and the dealer did not want to make good on the extra.
I believe in the end my cousin just took a bath on it. Nice!
That said it was still under warranty and less than 2 years old
wink.gif

Li
Originally Posted By: Kuato
It would be a juicy day to prove that sort of thing and sue the dealership.

Car dealerships are threatened (and hit) with lawsuits all the time.

It's just another day/week/month to them.

The problem is (aside from the curb rash on the wheels when the guy tried to leave in this case), what harm was done? I'm not saying I agree with it at all (not a bit) but that's all this or any dealership will say if they get caught driving a customer's car off the lot. There's no way to prove that any kind of actual abuse happened, and if so, what damage might have been done. The customer can't prove anything 'bad' happened to the car even with proof that any rational person would normally accept. The deck is totally stacked in their favor. It's ridiculous but it's reality.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The problem is (aside from the curb rash on the wheels when the guy tried to leave in this case), what harm was done? I'm not saying I agree with it at all (not a bit) but that's all this or any dealership will say if they get caught driving a customer's car off the lot. There's no way to prove that any kind of actual abuse happened, and if so, what damage might have been done. The customer can't prove anything 'bad' happened to the car even with proof that any rational person would normally accept. The deck is totally stacked in their favor. It's ridiculous but it's reality.

A cheap scangauge2 can record previous trip max rpm, speed, water temperature, and could be set up to record calculated max hp used. Of course they could unplug it first but it would show they probably were trying to hide something.
That said, a car with an auto transmission is pretty idiot proof and few shots of WOT doesn't hurt anything in a car. A car with a clutch could have that wrecked in a few poor attempts at a burn out but I doubt many techs would go that far...
I just leave my scangauge plugged in all the time and one tech hit 3800 rpm once in my car!
wink.gif

This made me think of the SNL sketch in which Chris Farley, playing a drinker who is in and out of rehab constantly, runs into his sister in Hawaii while he's supposed to be babysitting her kids in California...

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
There is another thread about this. The owner is on this forum.

Do you have a link to that one?

I once put "no personal use or road test authorized by owner" on a work order at a GM dealer,
the service writer refused to put the car thru the shop! Rotten!

During a GM warranty Transmission service they claimed they "road tested" the car and found no problem,
a check of the odometer showed they drove only 1 mile!

> If a really have to go to the dealer, I take a picture of the dash odometer reading while
on the lot and see what happens after that!

The owner actually pulled into the fast food parking lot and caught the tech there with her car? Oh goodness!!

I'd be livid. As Miller88 said, I don't have any cars anyone would want to joyride anyways.

But my dad back in the day had a beautiful cherry red Chevy pickup. Lowered, he custom painted it, loud exhaust etc. and took it to the car wash. Then he hears a V8 screaming outside and tires screeching. After it pulled out of the car wash an employee got in it to move it to the drying and detailing section. He did a 20' burnout in it. My dad went out there screaming and running, the car wash guy parked it ahead and ran off.

They gave my dad 5 free car washes (which he obviously didn't take them up on their offer).

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd be livid. As Miller88 said, I don't have any cars anyone would want to joyride anyways.

But my dad back in the day had a beautiful cherry red Chevy pickup. Lowered, he custom painted it, loud exhaust etc. and took it to the car wash. Then he hears a V8 screaming outside and tires screeching. After it pulled out of the car wash an employee got in it to move it to the drying and detailing section. He did a 20' burnout in it. My dad went out there screaming and running, the car wash guy parked it ahead and ran off.

They gave my dad 5 free car washes (which he obviously didn't take them up on their offer).

First mistake was taking the truck thru a car wash, I have the same truck, 83 Silverado with new paint, lowered and exhaust with 10" rear rims that won't fit in the tire track, she will never see a car wash, only her weekly wash at home.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I once put "no personal use or road test authorized by owner" on a work order at a GM dealer,

During a GM warranty Transmission service they claimed they "road tested" the car and found no problem,

> If a really have to go to the dealer, I take a picture of the dash odometer reading while

They probably refused to work on it because they figured you'd be a problem customer. Not worth their hassle.

As to the road test, have you considered that they don't have time to dawdle? Those folks are generally loaded with work all day long. In fact, it's a common goal for them to crank out more than 40 hours worth of work in a week. This is probably why they didn't road test more than a mile- they've got work to do!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

They probably refused to work on it because they figured you'd be a problem customer. Not worth their hassle.

As to the road test, have you considered that they don't have time to dawdle? Those folks are generally loaded with work all day long. In fact, it's a common goal for them to crank out more than 40 hours worth of work in a week. This is probably why they didn't road test more than a mile- they've got work to do!

Dawdling and a thorough (1 mile is very unlikely to be) test drive to PROPERLY diagnose and then post repair, CONFIRM normal function after a repair as major and complex as a transmission are two separate and completely different things.

If I ran a dealerhip shop all techs would be signing an employment agreement that said if they are ever caught joy riding or abusing a customer's vehicle that they will be instantly fired and personally responsible for any damages.

If I ever need to take my vehicle in for work (super rare) I make sure I'm at the dealership the whole time, and I tell them if you need to test drive I'll be going along.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Dawdling and a thorough (1 mile is very unlikely to be) test drive to PROPERLY diagnose and then post repair, CONFIRM normal function after a repair as major and complex as a transmission are two separate and completely different things.

I don't disagree, just saying these guys are under huge pressure at times and no doubt pass over things until they become obvious, so they can save time and move onto another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back