Sisters bad Toyota experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister had a 2008 Rav 4 with i4/Awd and 143,000 miles. She had okay service with it except for failed steering column that she paid $700 out of pocket but latter reimbursed. The next issue was grinding rear diff. The mechanic we use found out there was extended program to fix which sadly my sister missed window by 3 days (9 years from in service) . Toyota "care" stated too bad and she was stuck with $2k repair to replace and another $1k in related area fixes due to rot so more involved.

She now has vowed never to buy Toyota which Toyota care did not care about and thankfully Honda dealer handed her $5.5k in trade in as grinding diff stayed quiet for dealer trade valuation. She drives a 2017 Crv now.

First hand issues, be they dealership service, reliability or performance, can absolutely shape future decisions. I hope the CRV serves her well for many years. They are solid vehicles.

Yeah, our 2005 Rav 4 fell apart more than it should have by 50K. Waterpump, rear shocks, rear exhaust, excessive engine racket and oil usage, hyd clutch slave.

I drove it a few times and its was fantastic at around 15K miles, much better than Subaru. Giant rear door (hanging the spare) that could swallow a snow blower assembled or a new super capacity dryer - in the box!

No rear Bumper though! I guess the tire was the bumper.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

No rear Bumper though! I guess the tire was the bumper.

That gen RAV 4 sustains a lot of damage if if gets rear ended. The tailgate distorts badly and the floor plan buckles.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My sister had a 2008 Rav 4 with i4/Awd and 143,000 miles. She had okay service with it except for failed steering column that she paid $700 out of pocket but latter reimbursed. The next issue was grinding rear diff. The mechanic we use found out there was extended program to fix which sadly my sister missed window by 3 days (9 years from in service) . Toyota "care" stated too bad and she was stuck with $2k repair to replace and another $1k in related area fixes due to rot so more involved.

She now has vowed never to buy Toyota which Toyota care did not care about and thankfully Honda dealer handed her $5.5k in trade in as grinding diff stayed quiet for dealer trade valuation. She drives a 2017 Crv now.

Every time I hear this [censored] Mazda keeps sounding a little better!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it went 143,000 miles before she had to pay for a major repair?

And she lives in the rust belt, so it has rust, too?

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

That thing is a peach compared to some cars I've experienced.

When did she last change the diff fluid?

Quote:
Every time I hear this [censored] Mazda keeps sounding a little better!

Some years ago the transmission on my Mazda 626 bought new with 50K warranty went out at 51K. Mazda said, in effect, [censored] No more Mazda's for me.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

Haven't you heard? Every car should last 300k miles with only changing oil and tires. They OWE it to us!!

That's our advantage as BITOGers, or mechanics-I lose a rear axle in my MGM (known early '03 issue), off to the junkyard for a low mileage newer rear axle I go! Even if I have to pay somebody to put it in, I'm still way ahead. No Ford "stealership" for me!

Good luck....

It's all about expectations.

3 days sooner and she'd be a happy Toyota driver.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Good luck....

Exactly. Plus, according to most sources, the CRV is even less reliable. So if she had owned that she might have been unhappy with the CRV too.

Good luck....

I wonder how long she let the noise go before doing something about it. Noise, what noise? Just turn the stereo up louder
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Good luck....

Exactly. Plus, according to most sources, the CRV is even less reliable. So if she had owned that she might have been unhappy with the CRV too several years ago.

Fixed it for you.

Disappointing for sure, but I guess with me being the DIY type, it wouldn't bother me. Just playing devils advocate, how long was it making noise before she took it in? My idea of making noise and someone elses idea of making noise are 2 different things. If this is going where I think it's going, I probably would have looked into the issue and/or fixed the issue 6-12+ months ago.

Every vehicle in my signature has quirks. I take the good with the bad.

Originally Posted By: wemay
First hand issues, be they dealership service, reliability or performance, can absolutely shape future decisions. I hope the CRV serves her well for many years. They are solid vehicles.

Couldn't have said it better. My dad went from GM to Ford real quick when his new 2011 Tahoe had rust leaking out of and staining his doors while the dealer did nothing about it. Mom probably wouldn't own a 4Runner if she was limited to the local Toyota dealers either. Same with my brother's Jeep. Both bought their vehicles from dealers over an hour away.

I think Leo99's(who posted earlier) 04 Rav4 with 333k miles has been making a growling noise for the last 100k miles or so iirc. Another family member drives it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think Leo99's(who posted earlier) 04 Rav4 with 333k miles has been making a growling noise for the last 100k miles or so iirc. Another family member drives it.

Every time I drive it, I tell my wife it's making growling noises when the tranny shifts to 2nd gear and there is a clunk on occasion when it down shifts. She poo-poos me and tells me it's been making those growling noises for years and she doesn't hear any clunking. She's in denial that it's getting worse but it keeps on running and the wife is happy.

I've tried 3 times to get the rear differential filler cap off to no avail. It will live its life out with the factory fill in the rear. The front transfer case leaks so it gets a top off every 3 months.

Dude, the vehicle has 143K on it. Do you expect the manufacture to cover the vehicle for expensive repairs for 10 years/150K miles? Why not 15 years/200K?
What was the original warranty? I don't care if it is a known issue or not. Every manufacture makes vehicles that have issues, some more than others.
Toyota at least extended the warranty well beyond the original manufacture warranty which they didn't have to do. Your being ungrateful.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
What was the original warranty? I don't care if it is a known issue or not. Every manufacture makes vehicles that have issues, some more than others.
Toyota at least extended the warranty well beyond the original manufacture warranty which they didn't have to do. Your being ungrateful.

Original powertrain warranty which it fell under was 5yrs/60k miles. The warranty enhancement was for 9 yrs/unlimited miles. The unlimited miles may have bit them a little so they're not budging on the already generous warranty extension is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back